Help! Butter stains on my new pants!

Last night I was frying polenta in butter (served with shrimp--fun take on shrimp and grits--really good...but I digress) and a little splashed on my brand new (as in I was wearing them for the first time) polished cotton slacks. I massaged liquid soap into the areas and washed them immediately, but there are still stains. Any of you stain experts out there who can tell me what to do next? (and yes, I know I should have been wearing an apron.)

• Posted by: drbabs
  • April 14, 2012

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow April 14, 2012

Did you try Dawn? I swear by it. They use it to clean oil spills off birds!

jwlucas
jwlucas April 14, 2012

You might try a trick that works for spilled candle wax. Lay a clean dishtowel or layers of paper towel over the spot, then try to draw it out with a warm (not hot) iron.

gt9
gt9 April 14, 2012

When I spill on a silk tie, the best thing is talc powder..Makes tie look like new. You might try putting a little talc on the area. and leave it on for a couple hours and brush off.

Pegeen April 14, 2012

From Martha’s Stain Removal Guide:
http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/web/pdfs/pdf3/stain_removal_basics.pdf
For grease, butter, mayonnaise: Treat area with a dry solvent (such as mineral spirits or acetone) in a well-ventilated room. Using an eyedropper, rinse with isopropyl alcohol; dry well. Spray diluted dishwashing-soap solution on any remaining residue, and soak the item in an enzyme detergent before washing.

Then there’s always the dry cleaner….

sexyLAMBCHOPx April 14, 2012

If all else fails, take your slacks to a drycleaner. They can get it out but be sure to show them the stain and what caused it. My husbands & I hae close friends that own a local cleaner and its amazing what they can clean, including Uggs, purses and oil based stains like you have - it just needs to be treated with something other what they usally use. Good luck!

allans
allans April 14, 2012

Butter can be removed with a pre-soak of 1 Tbs ammonia and 1 tsp Dawn dish washing detergent per 1 qt of "just warm" water. Allow the garment to soak for 15 to 45 mins. Rinse completely and launder using a non-chlorine bleach. Works for me every time unless the rain is old.

drbabs April 16, 2012

And the winner is...Dawn! Thanks, Mrs. Wheelbarrow, and everyone who responded.

MrsWheelbarrow
MrsWheelbarrow April 16, 2012

Yay! So glad it worked.

Chrisppp
Chrisppp April 18, 2012

My husband swears by acetone for grease stains. Test in an inconspicuous place first.

Ophelia
Ophelia April 18, 2012

Carbona "stain devils" formula 5 (butter and cooking oil). Little bottle, cost about $3 and works wonderfully. (#7 is fantastic if you manage to run a tube of lipbalm through the dryer).