A question about a recipe: Grilled Pork Loin with Garlic

I don't have access to a grill or any comparable 'open flame' cooking. I generally try to imitate grilling with some combination of using my broiler and my Cuisinart 'griddler' but I'm not sure how to replicate the effect of "indirect heat" in this recipe. Would a foil tent do any good? What are your recommendations?

7207c897 0a26 4fab b8c9 7f79411a727a  pork loin roast on grill
Recipe question for: Grilled Pork Loin with Garlic

ChefOno
ChefOno April 15, 2012

Indirect heat is another way of saying back off from the heat source. I think you could do perfectly well by just regulating the distance to the broiler element. Tenting would just "foil" your attempts to sear the roast.
pierino April 15, 2012

ChefOno's description of "back off from the heat source" is exactly correct. But slow is also important. I know it's tough cooking from apartments but if you had a balcony or roof top or parking lot where you could set up a small Weber or hibachi you would be better served. This type of cut takes well to the indirect method where you can bank up your coals on one side. The meat will be much more tender. Another alternative would be searing and oven roasting in a French style cocotte. You would lose the character that grilling brings but I think your roast will taste much better than sticking it in the broiler.

ChefOno
ChefOno April 15, 2012

I agree with pierino that "slow" is a good thing for a roast; pushing too much heat will overcook the outside before the inside can come up to temp. This is especially important with a lean cut like a pork loin. After giving this subject a lot of thought, two suggestions come to mind:

After browning, you might consider switching to moderate oven heat. I don't know if that's really necessary though. Roasting over open coals is a time-tested technique although it would have certain advantages such as saving energy and keeping the kitchen cooler. But if you can't get enough distance from the heating element, you might have to in any case.

Allow the meat to sit at RT for 2 hours after prepping to give the inside a head start.
Carl Weiss
Carl Weiss April 15, 2012

Dude! Trying to smoke or grill meat indoors is kind of like trying to broil in a microwave. It doesn't quite get the job done. The best way to get that pork loin melt in your mouth tender indoors is via crockpot. Just set it and forget it until you come home. Add a half a bottle of beer or stout and a 1/2 tsp of thyme and you're good to go.

Carl Weiss http://mancavemunchies.com

ChefOno
ChefOno April 15, 2012

A slow cooker is one of many ways one could prepare a pork loin roast but it wouldn't produce the results Phillip is looking for. A broiler is essentially an upside down grill and will get him where he wants to go -- including the smokiness which can be accomplished in several ways.

pierino April 15, 2012

That's right. While you can't broil in a microwave you can't roast in a slow cooker either. And I don't think Phillip's recipe calls for beer anyway.

ChefOno
ChefOno April 15, 2012

Well put. But doesn't *every* recipe call for a beer (or something similar)?
PhillipBrandon
PhillipBrandon April 16, 2012

My gas broiler worked great (though I'll admit, surely not as good as a right-side-up-grill might have). I used my infrared thermometer to gauge temperature, and figured out that a low broiler kept the oven pretty close to the recommended grill temp. I kept it on a bottom rack position for the 'indirect' portion and raised it right up top for the final char. The roast developed a good crust and got all the nice burnt tips which good grills provide.

Thanks for all your input!

ChefOno
ChefOno April 16, 2012

Thank you for reporting back with the results and congratulations on a successful experiment.

pierino April 16, 2012

Great job Phillip.