🔕 🔔

Making Gnocchi Ahead of Time

How long before dinner can I make the Ricotta and Chive Gnocchi? I would like to make in the morning or day before. Is that possible?

asked by Jann about 6 years ago

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Yep! Morning would be better than the night before. Cook them as soon as you shape them, then lay flat on a tray or plate with a light coat of oil (otherwise the gnocchis will stick together) & refrigerate.

Refresh briefly in water, or pan fry just before serving.

Jann

Thank you very much! This makes my upcoming dinner party soooo much easier.

Quinciferous

I've also had very good luck freezing gnocchi -- in single layers, wrapped in parchment, then foil, then a freezer bag -- they go straight into the boiling water from the freezer.

Quinciferous

Just to clarify -- I've actually not frozen ricotta gnocchi before, but I have frozen regular potato ones with great success. Now I am wondering if anyone has input on freezing ricotta-based gnocchi!

If you are making the ricotta gnocchi for a dinner party, I would not make them ahead of time. They--or at least the ones I made--are delicate and did not improve with age. I would make a trial run, too, because if they don't have enough flour in them, they fall apart while cooking. NOT pretty for a dinner party!