🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Mozzarella

81765f74 b58a 4c4b 8c07 6c46ef76e120  47

Why does the FOOD52 team prefer rennet tablets over liquid? Did you test with both? What were the differences? And does very fresh milk make better mozzarella? Also, is there any reason not to use a large Mauviel copper jamming kettle for the hot salty water stretching step? (I'm going to have two or three batches going at once this weekend, in various stages, with a limited number of suitable pots on hand.) Finally, can the hot salty water be reheated and re-used for a second and third batch? Thanks so much. ;o)

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

I did test with both the tablets and the liquid. I didn't see much of a difference between batches, I prefer the tablets because I think they are clean, precise, and easy to store. I'm sure very fresh milk makes a better mozzarella, as all fresh ingredients make for better food.

I don't see any reason you can't use your copper pot to boil salty water. I've actually poured the hot salty water into a large mixing bowl and that has worked perfectly (if you're out of pots). And, yes, you can definitely reuse the hot salty water for more batches of mozzarella.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Don't use the copper pot! Copper is toxic and will leach into your food under certain conditions, especially in the presence of an acid.

Kristy Mucci

Can't you use the copper pot to boil the water and transfer it to a large mixing bowl?

Hmmm… Excellent question, just the kind that intrigues me.

Experiment: In a glass vessel, dissolve a relatively large quantity of salt in a small quantity of tap water and bring to a boil. The quantity of salt is not important, we're only testing theory, not attempting to quantify the results. The glass vessel is important to exclude any reaction between the copper and other metals. Drop a (lightly) tarnished penny into the solution and observe.

Results: Within seconds the penny begins to brighten.

Conclusion: Don't cook in copper.