Eating When Feeling Under the Weather

Details aside, I've been sick for the past two days and I am curious what others eat while feeling not so hot. I grew up and still gravitate to foods like brown rice, roasted sweet potatoes, broths, toasted rye bread, and bananas, and apple sauce. I stay within foods in their natural states (no Jello or soda).

insecureepicure
insecureepicure April 19, 2012

It depends what kind of sick you are. But I have found that an Asian Chicken Soup can heal stomach or cold symptoms. Shitakes, Carrots, Turnips, Onions, lots of garlic, black pepper corns, lots of ginger, we add Kale as well because we love Kale and don't forget a chicken. At the end we add some scallions, soy sauce and chile sauce in our personal bowl. I hope you feel better

TheFritschKitchen
TheFritschKitchen April 19, 2012

When I was under the weather, or even just feeling down, my mother would make me a bowl of milk rice. It's as simple as it sounds, prepare rice (we always used white, so I don't know how brown would fair...) using milk instead of water. Top with cinnamon sugar or maple syrup or honey or whatever you have on hand. Eat warm while wrapped in a blanket and watching bad daytime TV :)

testkitchenette
testkitchenette April 19, 2012

I am so making this right now!

testkitchenette
testkitchenette April 19, 2012

Yes shapeshifter, it does totally depend on what kind of sick one is. Asian Chicken Soup sounds delicious!

TheFritschKitchen
TheFritschKitchen April 19, 2012

Hope it makes you feel better!!

petitbleu
petitbleu April 19, 2012

Pho! A Vietnamese noodle soup made with beef broth infused with star anise, served with rice noodles, thinly sliced beef, Thai basil, cilantro, lime, and bean sprouts. Most cities have at least one decent pho joint.

HalfPint April 19, 2012

Better yet, a bowl of chicken pho is great when your not feeling under the weather.

sexyLAMBCHOPx April 19, 2012

wonton soup is the cure all for me. feel better soon.

creamtea April 19, 2012

chicken soup is good for many kinds of sick.
Rice. Unflavored yogurt.
A warm baked apple in the skin (contains pectin to glue you back together!).

creamtea April 19, 2012

forgot to say, feel better soon!

drbabs April 19, 2012

Chicken soup, tea and toast, baked potato. I hope you feel better soon.

PhillipBrandon
PhillipBrandon April 19, 2012

It's not my 'foodie' best. But when I've hit bottom I get cheap saltine crackers and sprite.

ChefJune April 19, 2012

It does depend upon what kind of sick. Sometimes I don't eat at all. My holistic doc recommends not eating, but drinking lots of only liquids you can see through. Then when you're super hungry, eat a piece of fruit. The idea behind this is that fruit is the easiest food for the body to digest. She says when you're sick (flu, especially) this regimen allows your body to use its energy to heal you rather than to digest food you may not really need at that time.

I only know it's worked for me. ;) and I can tell when I'm feeling better because it's then that I want matzo ball soup.

MTMitchell
MTMitchell April 19, 2012

I hope you feel better! When I was sick, my mom would start me on saltines and ginger ale, and if those seemed OK, she'd make me a very plain poached chicken breast (she'd use some carrots in the broth, but no onions, garlic -- anything "spicy") and either plain boiled potatoes (no skin) or plain white rice. Once I really started getting better, she'd make me custard with a little cinnamon and nutmeg (sounds like the milk rice biggreencookbook talked about above). Those are still the things i go to when I am sick to try to get back into the swing of things. If it's a head cold/sinus/allergies thing, I always go for the spiciest Thai food (mostly because there happens to be a fantastic noodle shop on our corner) I can get my hands on.