leftover egg whites

I'm making ice cream and have a bowl of leftover egg whites. Hate to waste them...suggestions?!

• Posted by: juliana
  • April 19, 2012

chairmanhu
chairmanhu April 19, 2012

I usually just save them for the next day and scramble them into a larger batch of whole eggs with some cream to make up for the lost richness.

Voted the Best Reply!

Louisa
Louisa April 19, 2012

You can also freeze them.

Reiney
Reiney April 19, 2012

As @Louisa says, they freeze well. They can also stay in a clean sealed container in your fridge for a good couple weeks - once the whites start to look cloudy throw them out.

mainecook61
mainecook61 April 19, 2012

Angel food cake.

CrashKate
CrashKate April 19, 2012

Meringues!

i.m.
i.m. April 19, 2012

you can use them to roast nuts instead of oil

SeaJambon
SeaJambon April 20, 2012

Funny - I just posted about having 22 egg yolks and not knowing what to do with them (the whites had been used in angel food cake). Sounds like you and I need to team up! And, BTW, what was the ice cream recipe that used so many yolks? (maybe I could use that...) ;)

HalfPint April 20, 2012

Make turron (aka nougat, aka torrone). It's easy and really good. Serious Eats recent has a recipe for Turron de Alicante, which uses marcona almonds, but you can use any kind of almond or pistachios,

http://www.seriouseats...

pierino April 20, 2012

You can also use them to make a "raft" to clarify stock, if you happen to be making stock.

mensaque
mensaque April 22, 2012

This is for next time,cause by now you probably already used those:HomeMadeMarshmallow!Beat the egg whites till they're firm(add a pinch of salt and/or baking powder,they'll get firmer and last longer)and when they begin to spike,pour slowly some syrup(4 to 6 eggs:1 cup water,2cups suggar mixed,boiled on low heat till it thickens,let it cool.)while still beating.But if you're lazy like me and don't feel like using the stove,forget the syrup and use 2 to 3 cups of fine suggar.You can add vanilla or lime zest.I like vanilla better.This will last for 2 days in the fridge,but if you add a table spoon of emulsifier gel,it will last for 4 days and you will get better texture.