A question about a recipe: Louisa's Cake

251ea3fb bebc 4b20 bc02 c3a1e935504f  2016 0309 italian lemon ricotta cake for easter james ransom 041

I have a question about the ingredient "all-purpose flour" on the recipe "Louisa's Cake" from SML Office.

I am English and would like to know what all purpose flour is - is it plain flour (usually used for pancakes & yorkshire puddings etc) or self-raising flour (usually used for sponge cakes etc) thank you

asked by iamwendywoo over 6 years ago

Yes, all purpose is plain flour. Self-raising flour in the US is called self-rising flour.

All-purpose flour is the same as plain flour.

Self-rising flour has leavening added to it, not what you want here.

iamwendywoo

thank you all very much for your input, it has cleared up a question that prevented me from trying some of the recipes. cheers.