A DARLING LIL' COOKER THAT MAKES THE FLUFFIEST RICE. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

Pork... and cola?

516c59c1 6865 447b bd0c 41a35159c7e5  dsc 0090

What exactly does the cola do? I've seen several similar recipes, but I can't figure out what the cola does to the pork. Is it just for flavoring? Does the acidity have some beneficial effect on the meat? (Sorry if the question is silly, but I'm just starting out as a home cook)

asked by iamadesertcreature over 4 years ago
A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

The cola is just a flavor component, no tenderization function contrary to popular belief.

Braising -- cooking meat low and slow in a moist environment -- works by converting collagen from connective tissue into gelatin and, to a lesser extent, the melting of fat and enzymatic action. As the meat heats up, it toughens and loses all its moisture into the braising liquid. After a time, it will relax, reabsorbing a small amount of what was lost (which by now will be highly flavored by whatever liquid we started with). By any other measure what we end up with is overcooked and dried out but we perceive properly braised meat to be juicy because of the sauce -- dissolved gelatin and melted fat. Yum!