🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Pulled Pork Sandwiches

516c59c1 6865 447b bd0c 41a35159c7e5  dsc 0090

I have a question about the ingredient "bottle hot taco sauce" on the recipe "Pulled Pork Sandwiches" from mtlabor.

What is hot taco sauce? I wouldn't dare purchase anything like Taco Bell hot sauce (nasty!) I'm thinking something more natural/authentic like Valentina (Mexican) hot sauce. Any suggestions?

asked by The Fiery Epicurean over 5 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Yeah. Just go with a milder hot sauce, like Cholula or Crystal. They are my go-to's for "taco sauce".

396e22f3 817c 45f5 a191 70afd9b017c3  notgood

Hey thanks for considering my pulled pork for your Super Bowl party! We have an awesome Latin American grocery store around the corner from our house that I purchased the taco sauce from. So if you have one around you, that's definitely your best bet - or your suggestion of the Valentina would be perfect as well (although I'd adjust the quantity a little bit - don't know if the whole bottle would be too hot or not!)

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

mtlabor - you have wonderful recipes!

540f1737 90b3 4ae6 bbee ef7ff2f0267b  stringio

I have a problem with "a bottle of taco sauce" - what size? I would recommend a brand too. Tapatio?

It's easy enough to make your own if you have a food processor as the basic ingredients are simple. Choose dried peppers to your own taste and heat tolerance, a single variety or a blend. Scoville units are the measure of heat. Stem and seed your peppers. Put them in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let that rest for 1 to 2 hours. Drain them, give them a rough chop and put in the bowl of your processor. Add white vinegar to not quite cover (you can always add more later). Add a pinch of salt and maybe a dash of garlic powder. Gradually ratchet it up "liquefy". Taste and adjust seasoning.

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

Last summer I bought a basket of hot peppers at the farmers market and placed them whole inside an empty bottle of vinegar. I added peppercorns, garlic and salt. I keep it in the refrigerator and use it on my rice and beans and other dishes that need a little vinegary heat.