A question about a recipe: Pulled Pork Sandwiches

I have a question about the ingredient "bottle hot taco sauce" on the recipe "Pulled Pork Sandwiches" from mtlabor.

What is hot taco sauce? I wouldn't dare purchase anything like Taco Bell hot sauce (nasty!) I'm thinking something more natural/authentic like Valentina (Mexican) hot sauce. Any suggestions?

516c59c1 6865 447b bd0c 41a35159c7e5  dsc 0090
Recipe question for: Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles February 1, 2012

Yeah. Just go with a milder hot sauce, like Cholula or Crystal. They are my go-to's for "taco sauce".

mtlabor
mtlabor February 2, 2012

Hey thanks for considering my pulled pork for your Super Bowl party! We have an awesome Latin American grocery store around the corner from our house that I purchased the taco sauce from. So if you have one around you, that's definitely your best bet - or your suggestion of the Valentina would be perfect as well (although I'd adjust the quantity a little bit - don't know if the whole bottle would be too hot or not!)

sexyLAMBCHOPx February 2, 2012

mtlabor - you have wonderful recipes!

michelle_brown
michelle_brown June 1, 2013

I have a problem with "a bottle of taco sauce" - what size? I would recommend a brand too. Tapatio?

pierino June 1, 2013

It's easy enough to make your own if you have a food processor as the basic ingredients are simple. Choose dried peppers to your own taste and heat tolerance, a single variety or a blend. Scoville units are the measure of heat. Stem and seed your peppers. Put them in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let that rest for 1 to 2 hours. Drain them, give them a rough chop and put in the bowl of your processor. Add white vinegar to not quite cover (you can always add more later). Add a pinch of salt and maybe a dash of garlic powder. Gradually ratchet it up "liquefy". Taste and adjust seasoning.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich June 1, 2013

Last summer I bought a basket of hot peppers at the farmers market and placed them whole inside an empty bottle of vinegar. I added peppercorns, garlic and salt. I keep it in the refrigerator and use it on my rice and beans and other dishes that need a little vinegary heat.