A question about a recipe: Edna Lewis & Scott Peacock's Shrimp Grits

11a2d410 ff05 435d 9fe6 9319c26f7027  food52 04 17 12 8372

I have a question about step 4 on the recipe "Edna Lewis & Scott Peacock's Shrimp Grits" from Genius Recipes. It says:

"Serve as an appetizer, a supper dish with buttered toast, or a savory side dish."

I have to feed guys with healthy appetites - is this really big enough as a main/supper dish (if I serve with a side of salad/sauteed veg) for example? That is, does it really serve 6?

asked by hungry.jen over 6 years ago

If it's your main course I doubt you'll have enough. You'll end up with about 4 cups of grits (before adding the shrimp paste) at the end, so I'd think as a main course it would serve about 4 people depending on appetites, if you did appetizers ahead, sides, etc... I'd at least 1.5 times the recipe (and probably double because I hate falling short, and don't mind having left overs!!)

LE BEC FIN

If I were feeding big eater guys, meat/poultry/seafood eating guys, i would feed them 6-8 ounces of protein each, with grits on the side.If it were a meat or poultry entree, i would remove the shrimp from the grits, and make twice the recipe, so as to have a bit leftover (reheats well; freezes well.).