The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

At what temp and time should I bake focaccia style bread to get a nice brown crust without coating with oil or anything that imparts flavor?

I cut small bread cubes daily to dip in olive oil for people to sample the oil. I have had the best luck with a focaccia style bread that is easily cubed but have trouble getting a nicely browned crust.

asked by cookmonkey almost 5 years ago

Easily 425 degrees. It is a wet enough dough that some of the leaving comes from steam. Are you making your own dough? It has such prolonged proofing periods that it benefits from a bit of honey in the dough. That will help with browning.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

If you aren't making your own bread and thus cannot control what is in it (honey, oil, etc.), I would try browning it in a pan on the stovetop. It would be a cinch if you could add oil to help the browning process, but give the stovetop method a try. Boulangere's suggestion is right-on, as well. I find that people are skittish about setting their oven high enough for certain applications, and 425 is not too high for toasting bread.

5898788c 7208 4473 a88f a3f4bbe64a0b  img 1339

Make a thin glaze by bringing to boil one tsp of flour in 1/2 cup of water. Brush the focaccia with the glaze before baking. It will produce a glossy brown crust.