🔕 🔔

I need a gluten free, dairy free, soy free, soy free, corn free, meat free dish that is also low sugar and cannot contain any citric acid.

I am trying to find a dish for my brother and his family. They eat nothing that might remotely be considered unhealthy. I am out of ideas, I am about to serve them plain roasted squash. Any ideas?

asked by Elisabeth Benson about 2 years ago

5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

What about this stuffing, leaving out the cheese, stuffed in a squash to be a little more seasonally appropriate? https://food52.com/recipes...

7c06bfa6 dcc3 4ae2 b256 5c89e09648ca  2017 0309 samantha james ransom 242 1
Samantha Weiss Hills

Samantha is a freelance writer and editor.

Elisabeth this gussied-up version of butternut squash could work, minus the heavy cream: https://food52.com/recipes.... Could add some herbs or spices too!

D0abaf68 a3aa 4105 a15a 732c3fd0d9ee  186158

how about these brussels sprouts with braised chestnuts? the recipe calls for butter and chicken stock, but you could substitute olive oil and vegetable stock. https://food52.com/recipes...

You didn't say vegetarian. What about a baked fish?

892dacce 7ff6 4577 9aa8 8bec02fd6310  stringio

I said Meat free. I can't make fish, major fish allergy coming to dinner :)

sorry, thought there might be an opening.
2nd suggestion - a bean casserole with root vegetables, garlic, olive oil and apples or pears...very fall-winter, seems to fit the constraints.

I know it is more of a "summer" dish, but ratatouille would be wonderful and a nice change from squash. And all the ingredients are available year round. Serve with with quinoa.

What about a fritatta? Admittedly, it's not vegan because, well, eggs. But it is meat-free. You can load it up with whatever vegetables and herbs are desired. Bonus, it's not a particularly labor intensive or stressful prep for you.

1f61171b 5598 44b7 a0db 80022b156aa6  4009951565 16d666fbc7

Laurie Colwin suggested steamed vegetables with green sauce for these sorts of guests. IIRC correctly, her green sauce recipe was pureed watercress, scallions, lemon juice and olive oil with a bit of mustard. Could replace the lemon juice with vinegar.

Unfortunately no citric acid (i.e. lemon juice)

Cav

You're to be commended. When you have that many requirements, especially self inflicted, you really should volunteer to provide your own food.

I'd suggest a roasted cauliflower (or squash, or aubergine), in a tomato based sauce. They're dishes that can be prepared well in advance and take reheating well.

53bafd96 8594 4b82 8389 e18dca45560b  the british museum
byb

I made this curry the other day and loved it (https://food52.com/recipes...). You could definitely omit the soy sauce and use a can of drained chickpeas (or more vegetables) instead of the tofu.

Also, a big grain salad like this one (https://food52.com/recipes...) might be a good option. Something with brown rice or quinoa or millet and then a bunch of roasted fall root vegetables. Super filling and seasonal.

Good luck!

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

Kale salad with pumpkinseeds and dried cranberries, tossed with a light vinagrette and some cooked grains....short grain brown rice or barley would work (I had it with farro, but since that's a wheat grain, they may not care for it).
Grilled or baked portobello mushrooms with vegan cheese.
Whole baked sweet potatoes stuffed with sautéed mushrooms and herbs (like a stuffed russet potato).
I have a recipe for zucchini stuffed with brown rice and lentils with middle eastern flavors...just skip the cheese topping. The filling could be stuffed into another squash, eggplant, bell peppers, or even a casserole. I've made it ahead, both raw and cooked, and even frozen it successfully.
Final suggestion is to tell them it's a potluck, and that your family will love whatever they bring...

3e9fde66 e1e6 460b b59a 924b81b4fc6b  image

Go wild with the herbs, lots of fabulous thyme and rosemary. They add interest to many dishes, especially par boiled potatoes finished in the oven.