🔕 🔔

frosting with egg yolk refrigeration

I normally don't refrigerate cakes that are frosted, but the one I just made contains a raw egg yolk. In light of this, should it be refrigerated?

asked by ATG117 over 5 years ago

I was wodnerig whether anyone had any thoughts and also wanted to clarify that it was the frosting that was made with a raw egg yolk.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Without seeing the recipe, it's very difficult to render much of an opinion. Here are some thoughts:

The odds are 20,000:1 a USDA egg is contaminated.
When in doubt, refrigerate.

I'm not much of a baker but all the buttercreams I've made (or attempted to make) have had the eggs brought to 160F during the process. I may get bashed for this statement but I see no reason to do otherwise.

It is possible there's enough sugar in the mixture to act as a preservative. See this thread (especially my last post):

http://www.food52.com/hotline...