🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Ceviche Style Shrimp in lettuce cups

4a9f4e0c cc0d 11e5 8d08 3c15c2d2bb38  45 full

I have a question about the recipe "Ceviche Style Shrimp in lettuce cups" from Teefor2.
Wondering why you would need 2 cups of lime juice for 10-15 shrimp? Is it a misprint?

asked by Shazza over 5 years ago

I don't know how large the shrimp are, but you are "cooking" the shrimp in the acids in the lime juice, so all of them need to be fully submerged and surrounded by the juice. You might be able to get away with a bit less, but to answer your question, I don't think it's a misprint. ;o)

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

that is correct. if you looked at another recipe for 30 shrimp, you might see it call for the same amount of citrus juice. the important factor is not the exact amount of juice, but having enough to cover the shrimp.

It largely depends on the shape of the vessel and the packing density of the shrimp. I make a lot of ceviches - never with shrimp though. But for 1 lb scallops I use 1/4 cup of key lime juice. Enought to thoroughly wet, but not to drown.
Also I am seeing a trend (and was talking with Chef Stephan Pyles the other day) about keeping the fish over the citrus for much shorter amounts of time. I presume that applies to shrimp too.
Last one I did used 1/4 cup for 1lb scallops and 7 minutes time in the juice. 1lb golden corvina, 1/2 cup key lime and about 12 minutes.
Also my ceviche guides keep stressing key limes only. Much more of a pain than the normal, Persian Limes. But so much tastier!

Nan

ChrisBird do you have a favorite ceviche recipe you would like to share