Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)
The simplest recipe I have is9oz milk chocolate4 tea spoons instant coffee dissolved in 7 tab spoons water11/2 cups heavy creamMelt chocolate and
Sorry, melt chocolate and coffee in doubleBoiler. Whip cream and fold into choc mixtureSpoon into serving dish or dishes and put in fridge to set, enjoy
June is a trusted source on General Cooking.
Chocolate Mousse is one of the easiest desserts to make and it's so impressive! My recipe comes from a bistro in Paris, Chez La Vieille. It is SO good. and NO cream!
makes 6 to 8 servings
1/2 pound best quality semi-sweet chocolate
6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
6 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1. Cut the chocolate into one-inch pieces and place in the top of a double boiler. Over shimmering water, melt the chocolate over low heat. When melted, add the butter. Blend well. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.
2. Place the egg yolks and the sugar in a large mixing bowl. With a large wire whisk, beat well for about 4 minutes, until the mixture is very thick and lemon-colored.
3. Add the chocolate mixture to the yolks and blend well with a rubber spatula.
4. Beat the egg whites with the salt and 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff. Do not overbeat. The mixture should be shiny and hold a peak. Fold them into the cooled chocolate mixture. Spoon the mousse into a serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.
Teacher’s Tips: 1. This mousse can be made 24 hours before serving. If made the same day, allow four hours for cooling in the refrigerator.
2. You can "Superfine" regular cane sugar by whirling it in your Cuisinart fitted with the metal blade for a few seconds.)
3. I love to serve Chocolate Mousse in oversized wine glasses, and fill the top with Mocha Whipped Cream.
My favorite desert!I'm very picky when it comes to recipes:stay away from those using gelatine.They end up like a flan.The ones using only the egg whites usually end up on a blobby liquid,gotta have the yolks.And the ones with whiped cream instead of eggs are great for when you're in a run,but if you have the time those extra fridg hours pay up.I don't make it as often as I would like but I have a great recipe from a brazilian chef,José Hugo Celidônio.Rich as mousse should be in my opinion.IMPORTANT:all ingredients should be at room temperature for the preparation,or you'll have a separation problem!And have everything readdy once you start on the egg whites.You don't wanna leave them waiting longer than the absolute necessary.
Beat 6 egg whites till stiff.I usually add what I call EggWhiteViagra:a pinch of salt and a pinch of baking powder,so it gets firmer and for a longer time...
Take 6 egg yolks and a tea cup of suggar(fine or regular) and beat them into a cream until it gets clear.
Add a stick of unsalted butter and keep beating,til it's smooth and fluffy.
Mix in half pound of melted dark chocolate(it can go up to 3/4 of pound,if you like it darker like I do) and a tea cup of heavy cream.
Add a shot of scotch,rum or port wine - that's optional.(My mom doesn't like it.I do.Tried it both ways.Both fine.)You can substitute it for a touch of vanilla.
Last but not least,add your whites,gently folding them into the mixture.Pour it in the serving dishes and leave it in the fridge for 12 to 18 hours.
Thank you Chef June! I lived in France many many (many) ages ago and came back with my favorite chocolate mousse recipe. Many years ago my handwritten recipe got wet and the whole thing smeared beyond recognition...it has been heartache since. I am certain your ratios above are the same, it's like drinking wine with a long lost love to see this recipe! Thanks again!
Please enter a valid email address.
Well played. You deserve a cookie.
Your room-by-room guide to bed linens, showerheads & more.
How Often Should You Clean Your Sheets?
Genius Sautéed Mushrooms
Great Gifts for Mom, Under $100
Beet Wellington & Co.
Save on Our Clever Italian Risotto Pan