A question about a recipe: Rhubarb Curd Shortbread

32265f24 b35f 4fea 90b6 f5c8e4fd56c3  050410f 592

Approximately how many cups of chopped rhubarb do I need for this recipe? Mine is already cut up and I don't have a scale!

asked by Debra D. over 6 years ago

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Looking at the recipe, I'd cook more than enough rhubarb (6-8 cups?) with sugar to taste and follow the steps to the puree method. There's a picture of the blender on the recipe slideshow, so at this point you can eyeball how much rhubarb to use (looks about 2 cups after pureeing?).

The risk is using too much rhubarb and not having enough yolks to set the curd, so err on the side of less rhubarb - that said there should be a reasonable margin of error here.

Linn

Recipe calls for 3/4 pounds rhubard and 1 cup holds about 4 ounces rhubard uncooked and cut up. So I would use about 3 cups. Sounds like Sarah knows a lot more about cooking rhubard than I do, so I would heed her good advice about erring on the side of less instead of more.