Best Cheeses to serve with Spiral Cut Glazed Ham

Serving up a good, glazed, spiral cut ham for a Mother's Day brunch with biscuits, mustards and chutneys, as a buffet item. What cheeses other than the pedestrian cheddar and swiss/emmentaler do you like / recommend?

asked by Burnt Offerings over 6 years ago

Gruyere, Fontina, Havarti...but have to say, a good cheddar (definitely not pedestrian) with chutney and ham is a pretty unbeatable combination, especially if you add some good black bread to the festivities.

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Good suggestions, above, and I agree - there's a big difference between pedestrian cheddar and *good* cheddar.

(Starting with the colour.)

bigpan

For warmth, try jalepeno havarti or monterray. For kick, try a shropshire blue (an English blue cheddar). For soft mushy togetherness, try a Brie. Maybe put out an assortment so each guest can experiment. Likewise, put out 3 or 4 imported mustard. "Frenchs" is not a mustard !

healthierkitchen

goat cheese would be nice, in addition to an aged cheddar. For something different, maybe manchego?

Burnt Offerings

I'm serving little skewers with Manchego, Membrillo and Chorizo as an appetizer.

petitbleu

I would agree with brie or camembert. I have fond memories of ham and brie sandwiches in France. If you can find Cabot clothbound cheddar, it's really stellar.

I'm decidedly in the camembert camp also. Maybe something in that style like Cowgirl Creamery's Red Hawk or Mt. Tam. In the cheddar family a stilton would be good. Look for Neal's Yard cheeses, which are excellent and Whole Foods carries them.

healthierkitchen

I was thinking Mt. Tam, too, but I didn't know if you wanted to spend at that level for this, Burnt Offerings!

Burnt Offerings

Yeah, Mt. Tam is pricey. I'm catering this - so I have to keep within the client's budget.

chedder, swiss or gouda sounds nice. have fun!