🔕 🔔

Secrets for consistent, thin, slices off a goat cheese log?

Are there any "secrets" for being able to cut consistent, thin, slices off a goat cheese log? My first couple of cuts seem to work, but after that the subsequent cuts are smooshed and/or fall apart. Would it make sense to freeze the log first and cut it when if was firmer? Just thinking there might be some secret way to make this work...

asked by SeaJambon over 5 years ago

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Make sure the cheese is very cold, use a wire cheese slicer (piano wire and two wooden spool handles) - or, just use some dental floss !

Very cold, but not frozen. Freezing will change the texture of the cheese. I second the floss thing, use the thin unwaxed kind.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Also…

Your description of the problem has me wondering, since the first slices are satisfactory, the solution might be wiping your knife with a damp towel between cuts.

(Works for cheesecake)

And then there is the cheese planer, the whole function of which is produce consistant, thin slices.

Monofilament (fishing line) also works, like unflavored, unwaxed dental floss mentioned above. No matter what, you might need to put the log back in the fridge every few slices, for a few minutes. There's no secret except patience. :-)

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Thanks everyone -- sounds like "patience" is the real answer (and, FWIW, I cleaned the knife after every slice and still had the problem. Must be that short time out of the fridge that makes the difference?). Great big "rats" (but glad I asked!) on the frozen -- was kind of hoping it was something simple like that (patience isn't simple for all of us!). Totally appreciate the help.

Swing and a miss.

If you figure out the secret to patience, please let me know.