🔕 🔔

Sriracha substitute?

I have no sriracha on hand. What can I use instead? I would like to make Helen's Spicy Shrimp, but if it is a key ingredient I will have to choose another recipe. I have hot sauce on hand, just not Sriracha.

asked by Incognito almost 6 years ago

Read this description and tweak away:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Sambal Olek would work or a Chinese style garlic/pepper blend. But if "hot sauce" (which covers a multitude of sins depending on the label) is all you have, then I wouldn't give up.

It looks like a key ingredient with 1/3 cup called for. If you use a different hot sauce the flavor will be, well, different. You might try adding a little bit of brown sugar and some garlic to a garden-variety hot sauce to try to mimic the flavors in Sriracha.

Y'all left out the best sriracha replacement--Apinya sauces out of Virginia. They make a line of chili sauces that use Thai chilis and the flavors are much more complex than sriracha (just garlic) or any of the hot vinegars!!