🔕 🔔

I'm making an asparagus ravioli - what kind of sauce would pair well with asparagus? Maybe a lemon brown butter? Good herbs to include?

asked by KBDalen almost 6 years ago

Oddly enough, I think a hollandaise would be nice. Maybe make a thinner hollandaise?

Wholefoods user icon

Is the asparagus in the ravioli or is it chopped up and mixed with ravioli (like cheese ravioli)? I don't think it makes much of a difference either way, but just curious. Some things that I always find to go well with asparagus: tomatoes, roasted red peppers, lemon, parmesan cheese, roasted onions, roasted garlic... hmmm... looks like I'm winding up to recommend a romesco sauce. Just roast tomatoes, red peppers, onions, garlic in a baking pan, and while you're doing that, pan-roast some bread and almonds. Mix everything together in a blender, maybe add some parmesan cheese and a spritz of lemon, and it makes a great red sauce! :)

9fe0c12c e20f 4669 bb88 2c31ee17d5e2  french river

Sage. I love sage with ravioli, plus it looks so pretty.

Wholefoods user icon

Browned Butter with Fried Sage would be wonderful. Tarragon and Chervil would work well also.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

Asparagus is a difficult vegetable to find a good herbal mate for. Chervil does work. Brown butter is not a bad idea at all, especially if you melt some good quality chopped anchovies in there, or alternatively add some salt packed capers. Those would compliment a ravioli. Prosciutto is a good match or simply seasoned bread crumbs sauteed in butter or olive oil.

I second the tarragon suggestion. Asparagus is so sweet this time of year - I'd want to let it shine. Good butter, a bit of tarragon sprinkled over the finished dish ... And a lovely wine, of course!