Homemade Cottage Cheese?

For someone who makes yogurt, sourdough, fermented stuff, I'm certainly not shy about DIY foods. I've never seen a recipe for cottage cheese that would result in a way-better version of the kind you get in a plastic tub. It seems to have so many additives these days (even Organic varieties) that I'd love to try it on my own. Helpful resources?

asked by Raquelita about 6 years ago

I've long been curious about this, too. Here's some good information: http://extension.missouri...
I think I'd skip the make-your-own-buttermilk step, and just buy it. The actual curd-making step looks very doable. I'd use my yogurt maker (a Yogourmet 2 qt. capacity) to make the curd. It sounds like you've got yogurt-making equipment, too. In fact, you've given me a project for this weekend!

P.S. Thank you!

Raquelita

Thanks boulangere! Store-bought is never as fun as DIY, and check this out for a starter: http://www.culturesforhealth... (Cultures for Health's entire inventory is on my fantasy birthday wishlist).

Thank you for the fantastic link, Raquelita. Sounds like we've got a project coming up! Love adding another DIY to the list.

I used to buy vegetable rennet, from a company I think is called Malaka. They included directions for making cottage cheese, and I don't believe it started with buttermilk.
I'd love to hear where you and boulangere take this project.