homemade yogurt

Can you freeze homemade yogurt without killing the cultures? The reason I ask is that I want to freeze yogurt in ice cube trays, and then use those ice cubes to start future batches of yogurt? That way I don't need to worry about making yogurt on a regular schedule, or accidentally eating it all. Would this work?

• Posted by: NealB
  • January 19, 2013

FutureChef
FutureChef January 19, 2013

Did some binging to verify... It concurs with my assumption that yes, the cultures will survive; they simply go dormant.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo January 21, 2013

I don't think it will work. When I use a carton of yogurt that's been in the fridge a couple of days, the quality is not as good.

Ginni Kelley
Ginni Kelley January 22, 2013

I freeze my yogurt in small freezer bags (snack size ones) as I use it to make a fresh batch every time. I have been doing it for years, and it works beautifully. I freeze 2 tbsp at a time in each bag, wrap it up tightly and freeze. That way I take one bag out at a time and I don't have to worry about saving it for the next time. Freeze from a fresh batch before eating it.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo January 22, 2013

Ginni, I will give it a try. Thanks.