What to do with fresh porcini?

I bought some fresh porcini mushrooms, and I'm wondering what to do with them. I'm going to use some in a salad, but I don't want to use the rest in a pasta sauce. I'm thinking of wrapping them in proscuitto and grilling them. What are your thoughts on that? I'm open to other ideas, too. Thanks.

HalfPint May 18, 2012

I would saute with a little bit of butter, minced shallots, and deglaze with a dry white and/or some chicken stock. Toss with farfalle or fusilli and topped with fresh parsley. I had a similar dish in Florence at my hotel.

mbergner
mbergner May 18, 2012

Fresh Porcini RISOTTO - Wow where do you live?? I'm in the Midwest; been looking for fresh porcini forever especially after visiting Europe.

Jocelyn Grayson
Jocelyn Grayson May 19, 2012

I live in the Bay Area and found them in Berkeley. Not sure where they were grown, though.

Maedl May 18, 2012

Porcini are usually available in the late summer and fall--where did you find yours?

sexyLAMBCHOPx May 18, 2012

You could make some awesome stock.

Jocelyn Grayson
Jocelyn Grayson May 19, 2012

Most expensive stock ever!

WannabeBaker
WannabeBaker May 18, 2012

Saute them an throw them in a grilled cheese sandwich! They provide a wonderful meaty bite.

pierino May 20, 2012

I'm guessing the "porcini" are coming from Oregon. A different flavor than the ones you will taste in Italy. But I think the best way to handle them would be sauteed in oil or butter, seasoned with a good mushroom herb (thyme or rosemary) and served over polenta.