🔕 🔔

What to do with fresh porcini?

I bought some fresh porcini mushrooms, and I'm wondering what to do with them. I'm going to use some in a salad, but I don't want to use the rest in a pasta sauce. I'm thinking of wrapping them in proscuitto and grilling them. What are your thoughts on that? I'm open to other ideas, too. Thanks.

asked by jocelyng over 5 years ago

I would saute with a little bit of butter, minced shallots, and deglaze with a dry white and/or some chicken stock. Toss with farfalle or fusilli and topped with fresh parsley. I had a similar dish in Florence at my hotel.

Fresh Porcini RISOTTO - Wow where do you live?? I'm in the Midwest; been looking for fresh porcini forever especially after visiting Europe.

7124ef9e 8cee 4d7c 8ab8 fa611e8ce383  jocelyn 2006

I live in the Bay Area and found them in Berkeley. Not sure where they were grown, though.

Porcini are usually available in the late summer and fall--where did you find yours?

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

You could make some awesome stock.

Most expensive stock ever!

Saute them an throw them in a grilled cheese sandwich! They provide a wonderful meaty bite.

I'm guessing the "porcini" are coming from Oregon. A different flavor than the ones you will taste in Italy. But I think the best way to handle them would be sauteed in oil or butter, seasoned with a good mushroom herb (thyme or rosemary) and served over polenta.