🔕 🔔

I was all was all set to make shellfish stock today, but I have just discovered no white wine in the house! Any substitution suggestions?

I have some lovely spot prawn shells, so I was thinking of making Judy Roger's fish fumet recipe from The Zuni Cafe Cookbook. The stock would be used for a variation of her cod chowder recipe, which includes saffron, orange,and fennel. I'd like to use a liquid that will not overpower the delicate flavor of the prawn shells. I do have in my pantry Lillet wine, dry sherry, many different kiinds of micro-brewery beers. Any thoughts if any of these liquids would make an acceptable substitute or should I just save making this recipe for another day? Many wine stores near me are closed on Sundays, so wine shopping today is not really an option. :)

asked by cookinginvictoria over 5 years ago

923a5e35 cc67 4f82 b4e5 024184d94660  open uri20141030 6777 167tand

Dry vermouth works really well.

Cef49d72 d554 46db a888 e97e0311e08e  cimg0737

Dea, thanks so much for your answer, but alas I do not have any vermouth in the house either.

If any of your beer are dry beers, I would try to use them in a pinch. I have also been known to add a glug of cognac if all I had was a sweeter wine. I don't think Lillet would work because it has quinine.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

White dry vermouth (standard part of a decent martini), or white port (hard to find but worth having as it isn't as sweet as tawny or ruby).
Also, follow the recipe and put a splash of brandy in at the end.