🔕 🔔

I just cooked a giant amount of dried chickpeas, with plans to make a stew. They are in my refrigerator still, unused. How long can I keep them there. And should I have kept them in some of their cooking liiquid?

asked by ENunn about 7 years ago

C405edfb eff8 43c8 8d2a 9c901ad00568  ozoz bw january2014

I wouldn't keep them longer than 3-4 days, a week at the most. You could freeze some, assuming you have freezer space and make some hummus or falafels

I'd say absolutely no more than three days, no matter how cold my fridge. Pulses go bad rather quickly. Whether you should have kept them in their cooking liquid depends on your intended use. I'd probably toss the cooking liquid and rinse the chickpeas anyway if they were in their cooking liquid and not used within 48 hours, because the cooking liquid tends to sour even more quickly. All pulses freeze really well, so I'd waste no time getting them into the freezer if you cannot use them right away.

I agree with the previous responses. The fermentation process starts almost immediately.