pistachio tart or cake

I had the most beautiful Italian cake in Prague at an Italian bistro. It was tart-like and shallow with a crumbly, nutty texture. It didn't have a pastry shell. I cannot find a similar recipe. Anyone know of one? Apparently it's a classic Italian dessert. It looks like the French almond cake in the photo.

• Posted by: Iris9
  • May 22, 2012
Ef28484c 11d8 4b3f bd41 5917bc2311d6  french almond cake 1

HalfPint May 22, 2012

Did it look anything like this: http://www.seriouseats...

Iris9
Iris9 May 22, 2012

It had that vibe, but it was more of a dense nutty cake. The texture was crumbly but it was definitely cake-like, not cookie-like. Thanks for the link though. Those look good.

futurechefHotline
futurechefHotline May 22, 2012

Try genoise. I've seen it more traditionally as almond version but that's probably it. French and Italian are Si closely related. Italians might have different name for it but probably same idea. Btw if you like pistachios, don't miss out I. The lamb dish at wd-50 with pistachio--wait for it-- polenta!!

Iris9
Iris9 May 23, 2012

Thanks for the tip! I will check out a recipe for genoise. And I just googled wd-50. That lamb dish looks great. Wish I was in NYC. I'm a canuck over in Toronto, but I do get to NYC now and again.

KatyM
KatyM June 25, 2012

Speaking of wd~50 Christina Tosi who worked there developed a sinful (but kind of difficult to assemble) pistachio cake for Momofuku Milk Bar. The recipe is featured in the Milk Bar cookbook, and it has all her details and notes. It looks so yummy, but it's a little more complicated than you might be looking for.