🔕 🔔

cooking with copper

I've read that copper pots should be heated up slowly. Does this mean you start it on a low flame and keep it there or start it on a low flame and slowly raise it?

asked by Shoshanadh over 5 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Usually heating something slowly involves keeping it at a low flame, but I'm not familiar with this particular recommendation for copper pots.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I've used copper pots for 30 years with no problem. You can put on a hot flame, but note that because copper carrys heat so well you don't need higher temps.
Look at the edge of a pot to see if it is thick with copper (good) or just a thin outer layer of copper (rip off). Also, avoid tin lined pots as the tin will melt and is not good for you to ingest!
Don't be alarmed that copper discolors with heat, either accept it or get used to polishing regularly. Since I have about 15 pieces I don't polish often.
Since mine have lasted this long it is obviously a good investment.

bigpan, is correct. Old fashioned copper pans were lined with tin, and yes if heated too high the tinning will begin to melt. Today it's easy to find stainless lined copper pans. As bigpan mentions, the pleasure of using copper is how well they distribute heat without hot spots, so yes you can set the burner lower.

7e948ce6 246e 4ab7 8640 b2e71885135f  bap2012small

OK Thanks. Bigpan, what are your pots lined with?

C124f579 1ed2 466c bea2 81f2e2833f4e  fb avatar

I have 4 copper pots lined with stainless that we bought in paris at dehellerin. this is the place that it was said where julia childs bought her pots and pans. i have had them for over 4 years and i find them great to cook with. they transfer heat so well and clean up easily. now i am not talking about the outside i rarely polish them, just wash and clean. they are so very heavy and because of good heat transfer i rarely burn anything in them. if i had more room i would definitely get more. right now i have a large and medium saute pan, a fry pan and a 1 1/2 qt sauce pan. i just put them over the gas flame and let it go. i have never slowly heated them just use them as usual. i highly recommend copper for sauteeing.

Mine are all French made lined with either stainless steel or nickel. The French made ones will say "made in France" on the pot where the handle is riveted on.

Thanks everyone. I have a saute pan that I got at a thrift store. It's stamped "Made in France" and is quite heavy though I'm certain it's lined with tin. I also have a small gratin, also a thrift shop purchase and also stamped "Made in France" but also "Lamalle, N. Y. City" (which must have been an importer). It too is tin-lined.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Tin melts at just under 450F, a temperature easily achieved on a cooktop, especially when searing. So the reason you don't heat a tin-lined copper pan quickly is to avoid overheating and thus melting (and destroying) the lining.

Two notes: When (not if) the lining wears through, the pan must be retired or relined. Cooking in direct contact with copper = A very bad thing.

Cookware stamped "Made in France" was likely manufactured by Mauviel = A good thing.