Brine for Feta Cheese

My supermarket sells a block of feta cheese vac packed with no brine that's much cheaper than the stuff with the brine in the tubs. What's a good ratio for making a brine to store it so it keeps longer?

Droplet

The general recommendation is 10-15 % salt brine, for whatever volume you need, depending on your storing container of choice. Keep in mind that the Feta itself has varying saturation of salt in it, and sometimes the one sold vacuum packed is more salty so it will keep longer. If you only eat a little at a time, I'd err on the side of saltier brine, because otherwise the cheese gets too soft and starts to disintegrate.

petitbleu

I just packed some homemade feta into brine, and I used 1/3 cup kosher salt to roughly one quart water. Also, if you're worried about the cheese getting soft, add a little calcium chloride to the water.

I think I've answered my own question. The only thing I could find with searches was 1 lb kosher salt to 1 gallon of water. Far too much for my use...but roughly that should be 3 tablespoons of Morton Kosher salt to 1 cup of water...with error on the more salty side. (G).

thanks everyone!!

So here's a quick thank you recipe (more of description).
Defrosted baby frozen lima beans, not cooked just slightly heated so they still intact.
Dress with lemon juice, oregano, olive oil. black pepper. And let them sit awhile in the 'fridge or over night. Then add feta cheese and chopped parsley.
(fresh mint can be another option for a chilled bean salad).

At the other extreme, I once replaced the feta brine with water, trying to reduce the salt level in the cheese. As I remember, it made it sort of rubbery. That comes in the 'can't food Mother Nature' category.

Droplet

susan, it usually goes one of two ways if you store it in just water- starts disintegrating or goes rubbery. I think it has something to do with how ripe it is, but don't quote me on that

cookingProf

I save the whey from strained yogurt and use it to brine feta. I add about 2-3 tablespoons of salt to a quart of whey. It improves the flavor of feta considerably. The brine can be used multiple times.

BoulderGalinTokyo

Learn something new on food 52 everyday! Thank you.