🔕 🔔

what to substitute for feta

for folks who do not like feta cheese

asked by Louise Crowley Rovner over 2 years ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

That completely depends on the dish. Cheese is often used for either its specific flavor profile or its melting profile/texture. In my experience, since feta doesn't melt, its usually used for its unique flavor. In most of the applications I can think of, just substitute a cheese you enjoy the flavor of. I would *generally* choose something aged, though, with a firmer texture.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Yes, would help to know where you're using the feta. In broad terms, ricotta salata or a crumbly goat cheese are good subs Also I'd note that there's a huge taste/texture difference between a good feta and a poor quality one (i.e., salty styrofoam) - which is arguably true of many cheeses, but I've found especially so with feta. I think the prevalence of bad ones creates a lot of feta dislike. If you have access to a good cheese source, your guests might change their minds.

9222c532 27a1 4ba1 88e4 001b7bd829f8  image

I agree that it depends on what you're using it in. But, in addition to ricotta salata, I'd suggest cotija, a crumbly Mexican cheese.

Ricotta salata has a similar texture to feta. You might like to try that. Otherwise, you could use any crumbly cheese you like. It rather depends upon the recipe you have in mind.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

My husband HATES feta cheese. For a lot of things, I just leave it off his portion, but I've found that he really likes smoked cheeses (Edam, gouda and cheddar in particular), so if you're making something where smoked cheese would work, you could try that.

E6f5e079 1551 4472 bc70 dcc35a71edc2  110

Sorry. but must ask, Louise Crowley Rovner, what about feta do your friends not like?

Too salty? Too goaty? Too barny?

Go with chevre!