Ideas for leftover feta brine?

I bought a lovely local sheeps milk feta at the market and I'm now left with a large jar of the brine and it's so tasty, I don't want to throw it out! Any ideas?

• Posted by: Natalie
  • August 6, 2015

Ali Slagle
Ali Slagle August 6, 2015

Since it's essentially salty water, what about adding it to pasta water? Imagine it could also be used as a brine, but would worry about the saltiness.

boulangere August 6, 2015

Perhaps try it in a vinaigrette. Or add it to a French-style potato salad with green beans and a vinaigrette dressing.....and some Feta cheese.

boulangere August 6, 2015

Good idea, @Ali Slagle

sexyLAMBCHOPx August 6, 2015

Brine a pork chop or two with it.

702551
702551 August 10, 2015

I'd brine pork rather than chicken. Brine changes the texture of poultry to something that I'm not particularly keen on.

Susan W August 10, 2015

Trust me (or not) cv, I had this chicken last night and it's absolutely fabulous.

702551
702551 August 10, 2015

Susan W,

Oh, I do believe the taste would be fabulous.

Again, I don't like the *texture* of brined poultry. That includes both chicken and turkey. I dutifully brined Thanksgiving turkeys for a couple of years until I gave up and switched back to salting the bird. I've even tried a couple of side-by-side experiments (brine vs. salt) with chicken pieces and my texture preference is for the unbrined poultry.

This is also why I do not eat commercially prepared turkey (like deli cold cuts).

Brine doesn't affect pork the same way as poultry which is why I'm down with brining pork.

702551
702551 August 10, 2015

It's very interesting to note that my dislike of brined poultry has been a lifelong aversion. I had very little interest in commercially produced chicken and turkey as a kid, even though I loved freshly prepared poultry.

That second brined Thanksgiving turkey that was a revelation (I used a stronger brine than the first year and also left the bird in the brine a longer). I said, "Hey, the texture of this brined bird is just like the stuff from the deli." I now had an answer to why I generally didn't like commercially prepared poultry.

Of course, lots of people seem not to mind that brined poultry texture, but it is something that I have disliked even as a little kid.

Susan W August 10, 2015

cv, I get it. I have brined many a turkey, but found while I liked the seasoning, the texture did change and I prefer my turkey dry brined or just straight up seasoned. I also never buy deli meats with the exception of a deli in town that roasts their own turkey breasts and beef no brine, nothing except salt and pepper.

Chicken is different for my taste unless it's one of the pastured chickens I get from a farmer when in season (now). I enjoy a brine on a run of the mill chicken. I won't try to talk you into trying it with the feta brine because I HATE it when people pull that on me. "Oh, but you'll surely like the way I make brussel sprouts". No, I won't.

Susan W August 6, 2015

This looks very promising.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/dining/feta-brine-improves-roast-chicken.html?referrer=

paseo
paseo August 6, 2015

Made this recipe last week and it was a keeper

Susan W August 6, 2015

That's awesome to hear Paseo. I'm a little obsessed after reading the recipe.

Natalie
Natalie August 7, 2015

Wow all great ideas! That chicken recipe might be the winner. Sounds amazing

Susan W August 8, 2015

I'm making this tomorrow or Monday, so I'll report back.

Natalie
Natalie August 9, 2015

Oh great, please do!

Susan W August 9, 2015

OMG..this is my favorite chicken ever!! I eat a lot of chicken. Sometimes I brine. Sometimes I don't. Brining it in feta brine changes everything. There is a wonderful umami to the chicken. Be sure to blend the two ounces of feta into the brine. It would be weak without it. I changed it a little to accommodate what I had already. I used chicken drumsticks and preserved lemons that I keep ignoring. I used a little chicken stock to deglaze the pan. Seriously delicious chicken.

Natalie
Natalie August 10, 2015

Ooh yay I'm going to try it to -- I still have that jar of brine sitting in the fridge!