🔕 🔔

What's your favorite brand of kitchen knives?

My niece is getting married and I want to buy her a set of kitchen knives. What's your favorite manufacturer?

asked by KarenO over 4 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Never buy sets of anything because half of them never get used. My preference these days is for Japanese knives such as Shun. German carbon steel (like Wushtoff) used to be the standard but Japan surpasses it. The key thing though is that a knife has to feel right in your hand. For me the Japanese knives do that. Correct balance etc...

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Get a gift certificate to a good kitchen shop that has a big selection. Wrap the certificate with an old knife from a garage sale - an old dull rusty one.
Write on the card that the certificate is specifically for kitchen knives.
Let her go and hold different brands and weights and sizes so she will pick the best for her.

Wholefoods user icon

I love Cutco they also have other things such as flatware, pizza cutters, ice cream scoops, etc. lots of things for the kitchen, and I also think that they come with a lifetime guarantee never to go dull and if they do you ship to them to have them sharpened and if they cant be sharpened they will replace them free.

B8c85549 23af 4014 8234 ae1da9266ce9  burnt offering

I second the Cutco knives. They are made in the USA and come with a lifetime guarantee. I have a carving set, kitchen shears, and a chef's knife from my grandmother. When I sent the kitchen shears in to have them sharpened, I wrote a note that they had belonged to my grandmother. They sent me a brand new pair, AND included the old ones because they knew I wouldn't want to lose them out of sentimental value. Free.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Good to know! I always thought, because of their marketing methods, that there was no "there" there. We always have a teenager in the neighborhood selling these.

I second the Shun. I have the Ken Onion handles on mine. Even one fantastic knife can change your life in the kitchen. A gift certificate to an upscale kitchen store (ie not BB&B) where she can test drive the options is a great suggestion.

I still love and adore my standard German steel cook's knife. But Shun is a great brand I have heard many people praise. Best advice has already been given - get her a gift certificate and encourage her to pick her own! Nice gift, by the way!

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions. I'm awfully tempted to go out and buy myself some new knives now. My hands are small but my niece's are even smaller, I think, so a gift certificate to a great kitchen store is the way to go. We can go together and then see what happens!