IT'S EASIEST, FASTEST, BEST WEEK! (WAIT, LITERALLY?) READ MORE »
🔕 🔔

How do you sauté onions

asked by Brennen over 4 years ago
19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

Can you add any more information? what use do you have planed for them? Onions are fragile. Depending on their use, you may slightly change your method.

If you want to just sweat them without adding any color, do it with a small amount of oil or butter over medium heat for about 2-3 minutes, tossing/stirring occasionally. If you want them caramelized, use a small amount of oil, get it nice and hot before adding your onions, and then saute, stirring/tossing occasionally until you get the desired color. About 3-6 minutes depending.

we can provide more specific instructions if you would let us know exactly what you are using them for.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Just did this yesterday. What big pan says is absolutely correct. And err on the side of more onions than you think you will need. They shrink down dramatically in volume as they cook.

I recently read an article on Slate (I think) about the onion problem. The recommendation: Place the onions on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment, and shove 'em in the oven on 400 or so, and cook them until they're soft and shrunken. Do nothing to the onions -- don't peel them, no oil -- nothing. I've tried it -- and it works. The onions just slip out of the skins, and can be tossed in a pan to finish off them off if more caramelization is needed. I diced some up and froze them in small packets. Couldn't be easier.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Ahh..there's a place here that did a baked Valdalia onion. Served kinda like a 'blooming onion' slicing in a radial pattern with a couple of wooden spoon handles and chop sticks to keep the cuts from going all the way through; Then seasoned with salt and olive oil wraped in foil and bakedl and served spread open with a sautee of matchsticks of Prosciutto ham in the center and good bread.

0bc70c8a e153 4431 a735 f23fb20dda68  sarah chef
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

What do you mean by sautéed? If caramelized - as big pan says. (Sorry, Benny, how do you do caramelized onions in 3-6 minutes?? This might be the article Melusine is thinking of: http://ow.ly/aFj8x )

"Sweat the onions" - Sometimes you just want to take the rawness out and sweat them in butter or oil - sweetens them up but doesn't cause any colour. This is done over low heat until they smell fragrant & sweet. You can even add a few drops of water to prevent colouring. Usually for soups or sauces.

"Brown the onions" - Sometimes you want a quick sear for the brown colour on the outside, but not to fully convert the sugars over the long, low & slow process of caramelized onions. Browning gives a darker, richer flavour. For this you'll need a higher heat and to make sure there's enough surface area for the liquids to evaporate to keep the pan dry.

Always add seasoning (salt) at the start in any case - good cooks season all the way through, not just at the end.

I honestly have no idea why I typed 3-6 minutes in my original reply. I must have been thinking of something else as I typed. I will blame it on a rare "brain fart". In my defense, I made that reply the day after a really long bachelor party, so my head was not all there. I didn't correct myself, because everyone else had already answered in a much more useful manner.

C8ffa92e 3766 46b4 8290 dbef5c382a03  james joyce 1

Yes, indeed. If all you want to do is toss them on top of a burger or a steak sandwich you can cook them quickly in a skittle or on a griddle. They'll have nice color but may come off tasting a little bitter. Your end purpose is what matters.

A touch of baking soda will help the caramelization of onions and carrots; and lessen some of the bitterness of late winter onions or yellow onions. Sweet summer onions do just fine with long slow heat. That and everything Sara said...sweat them and wait.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

slow and low.

B1585a5c d3d3 4e9e a50c 9475d4b7ceb4  stringio

Slow and low is definitely the way. Onion soup can take 40 minutes - there's no such thing as a quick sautee of onions - at least 8 minutes to translucent.

I have to chime in and say that low/slow is very western. For Indian food, you want color. Stir often on high heat, add water if necessary, will take 15-20 minutes.