🔕 🔔

Anyone ever made Vlaai van Aalst? I've been searching for a recipe that I can follow, but no luck. I posted a request on CHOW three years ago too. I'm jonesing for some Vlaai!
This is the best I've come up with: http://www.gva.be/nieuws...
Recipezaar used to have one with some bizaar ingredients, but now I see the ingredient list is gone and only the directions remain.
~Mary

asked by Food o' del Mundo almost 7 years ago

70a78f0d 8ab1 412b ba57 b21f44c4df97  face of world food

I thought I attached this photo - this is what it looks like.

B34cce58 f697 40db 9aad f28a0b9f9e91  vlaai

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

How much is it worth to you? Send cash, small bills only, to me at . . .wait--Is the term "extortion" specifically mentioned in this site's terms of use?

So here's my story: I have a lot of relatives whose last name is "Bruessel," like the city in Belgium, and guess where they're from. . .Wrong. They came here from Nuremburg, Germany, but I inherited a few Belgian, German and Dutch recipes from them and guess what? If what you're jonesing for is something like cinnamon mousse, here's a recipe for Aalsterse Vlaai, with the original measurements and my American substitutions.

1 liter milk (4 cups plus 2 tablespoons)
45 sugar cubes (1/2 cup granulated sugar, but use only 1/4 cup if you're using American glazed donuts)
7 mastellen (or use 10 American yeast-raised glazed donuts), dried by leaving them uncovered on a rack for 24 hours
2 eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon (1 1/2 teaspoons if using American donuts)
1 pinch mace or nutmeg
400 gm Candico Syrup (a brown caramel syrup--you can get it in the US from a store that sells ingredients/supplies to brew your own beer, or you can make your own by melting a cup of sugar in a heavy saucepan and stirring in 1 1/2 cups corn syrup and enough water to bring the level to 2 cups)

Heat the milk and sugar to scalding: remove from the heat and set aside. Grate the mastellen with the large holes of a box grater and stir the crumbs into the hot milk. Beat the eggs until thick and light-colored; add the cinnamon and mace and blend well. Stir the egg-spice mixture into the sugar-milk mixture and beat very well--it should be the consistency of cake or pancake batter. Add the candy syrup and mix well. Pour into a lightly greased glass baking dish or ceramic casserole and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours in at 350 degrees.

I HIT THE JACKPOT!!!!
Thank you betteirene!! Thank you again and again!
The first time I had Vlaai was in Gent, Belgium. It looked so strange, but it tasted so wonderful! We went back a few years later and I bought a whole cake with the pan it was made in. The vendor really thought we were strange, especially when we asked for the pan with the writing on the side. I even found a better photo.
A million thank yous to you!
I can't wait to make it.

488e6b76 5cc0 45a0 ad55 e5ff87f4f6e3  idontwantanyothat.mmm tasty 2