🔕 🔔

I have 30 bell peppers I need to roast. Are there any shortcuts to peeling them post-roasting? All I know is to paper-bag them or cover them in a bowl for a bit, and then use my hands to get all the charred skin off. Doable... just tedious. Ideas?

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

Some people like to peel them under running water so the skin and bits slide off as you go.

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

Interesting. I wonder how much of the flavor you lose under the running water. If only there were some food-obsessed people out there to test this for me...

C405edfb eff8 43c8 8d2a 9c901ad00568  ozoz bw january2014

I roast them and with the blunt side of a knife on a chopping board, gently scrape off the skin (after they've sweated).

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

I've always gone the paper bag route, but I was recently told by a chef who specializes in southwestern food to soak them for 10 minutes in a bowl of ice water before peeling, particularly if you're working with thin skinned peppers like poblano peppers. I've tried it, and it worked very well for me and couldn't tell I was losing any flavor.