I have 30 bell peppers I need to roast. Are there any shortcuts to peeling them post-roasting? All I know is to paper-bag them or cover them in a bowl for a bit, and then use my hands to get all the charred skin off. Doable... just tedious. Ideas?

• Posted by: Peter
  • August 3, 2010

Amanda Hesser August 3, 2010

Some people like to peel them under running water so the skin and bits slide off as you go.

Peter
Peter August 3, 2010

Interesting. I wonder how much of the flavor you lose under the running water. If only there were some food-obsessed people out there to test this for me...

Kitchen Butterfly
Kitchen Butterfly August 18, 2010

I roast them and with the blunt side of a knife on a chopping board, gently scrape off the skin (after they've sweated).

TheWimpyVegetarian
TheWimpyVegetarian August 18, 2010

I've always gone the paper bag route, but I was recently told by a chef who specializes in southwestern food to soak them for 10 minutes in a bowl of ice water before peeling, particularly if you're working with thin skinned peppers like poblano peppers. I've tried it, and it worked very well for me and couldn't tell I was losing any flavor.