🔕 🔔

How do I safely dry age meat. And how long do I age it for?

asked by Bill F over 5 years ago

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Easy to do with great results, but be prepared for the cost !
Take the meat - I used a 3 bone prime rib. Rinse and dry with paper towels.
Wrap with a couple layers of cheesecloth and place on a rack in the fridge.
After a couple days, remove the cheesecloth and rewrap with new cheesecloth.
Repeat about a week later.

Most grocery store meats are aged 14 days. You want to get it up to 28+ in order to have the colegens break down - that is what makes it super tender and taste good - also the marbled fat in a prime rib cut is required. You should not need to age more that 35 days.

The meat will get dry and crusty looking. Do not worry. Cut it off - but leave the marbled fat and red meat. You are now ready to cook and enjoy.

The cost is that you will probably cut away about half the product, therefore doubling the price per ounce. And that is why good steak houses that dry age their own meat charge so much - not the time, but the unavoidable waste.

good luck.