🔕 🔔

Switching banana bread to banana cake?

I'm making banana bread but the loaf pan I have is smaller than normal. Can I do this in a square 8x8 aluminum pan instead? What's the conversion rate, and would I have any issues with baking time/etc.?

asked by sabrina0 almost 6 years ago

3274dd01 68df 403c a7b7 dc04541caaf8  dsc 0102 2

You likely can bake it in an 8x8 pan with fine results, but I would perhaps start checking it beginning 15 minutes before the banana bread was supposed to be done had you cooked it in a loaf pan. I've seen (and made) a few cake and quick read recipes that give directions for loaf and/or Bundt pans (depending on what's available to you or what you prefer to use), and I'm guessing that while a Bundt pan would give you more of a similar texture and baking time to a loaf pan (if you have enough batter for a Bundt pan that is) an 8x8 pan will probably be tasty as well though I'd prepare for either a gooey center or well-cooked outer edges. Maybe stick both the center and outside with a toothpick until they are at the happiest medium for you!

98c920df 3f38 4770 ac1a 6d3cacec2f29  img 0188

Thanks @RachelS - it's in the oven now. I am a little worried about the texture but the general volume looks right, so I'll hope for the best.

You're welcome... How did it turn out?