I just discovered I like canned Sardines! There anyway to eat them other than out of the can?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

asked by Elaine Ruth over 6 years ago

Nozlee Samadzadeh

Our Sardines contest is a great place to start!

http://food52.com/contests...

The winner of the Best Seafood Pasta recipe contest features sardines as well: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

On saltines with a cocktail sauce and lemon juice.

Esther Plume

Drain, mash them in the can, vinegar and black pepper, turf them out onto a piece of toast, and shove them under the grill for a bit. Delicious!

Summer of Eggplant

I will apologize in advance for sending you to my blog for this sardine dip but I could not find the original recipe from Bon Appetit on bonappetit.com epicurious. I believe it is from Nepenthe in Big Sur. http://www.summerofeggplant.blogspot.com/2010/08/trash-talk.html

Here's a recipe I donated Cannery Row Sardine Company when they first started up http://www.food52.com/recipes...

bigpan

Sardines are great for omegas. Google any Norwegian, Danish, or Swedish site for great small smorgasbord items.

Mirepoix79

Smired on toasted rye bread w butter

Third Floor Kitchen

I like to toast slices of baguette that I've brushed with olive oil. I rub the toasted slices with garlic and then top them with sardines that I've marinated in a lemon-thyme vinaigrette.

I also love this recipe of Dorie Greenspan's:

Lemony Sardine Spread

Two 3 3/4-oz. cans sardines, boned and drained
2 1/2 oz. low-fat cream cheese
1 small onion, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
Salt and pepper, to taste

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper and add a bit more lemon juice if you’d like. If you have time, chill the spread for a few hours (or even overnight). Serve on crackers, toast, or slices of cucumber and radish.