What is the best way to eat canned sardines?

I know how good they are for you and most people enjoy eating them simply on a cracker, however I find it difficult to imagine swallowing - bones and all...Would love to hear other approaches to preparing!

asked by Kate almost 5 years ago

Here's my own recipe http://food52.com/recipes...

My husband's favorite preparation is adapted from The Silver Spoon cookbook. It's called Fisherman’s Eggs
"Easy and very tasty. Try them for breakfast, or pair with a leafy salad for a quick supper." Serves 4.

karen06

I LOVE sardines (in good olive oil only please) on plain hot cooked rice with a sprinkling of maldon. Simplicity at its best. You can add a tiny squeeze of fresh lemon juice but that is it. I am getting hungry just thinking about it.

I have a sardine pate recipe on Food52, http://food52.com/recipes...
Everything gets ground up, so you won't even feel any bones (which are rich in calcium). I usually serve the pate on baguette as a crostini or a sandwich.

Been eating these all my life. They were Dad's favorite thing to "prepare" for himself if Mom wasn't around to fix him lunch on weekends. He preferred them on white bread. I like them on Ry Krisp-type crackers. And only King Oscar packed in olive oil. I guess we're "sardine snobs." ;)

tREX

Mark Bittman at the NYTimes has a great recipe; enjoy!
http://www.epicurious.com...

Saltines, horseradish, ketchup (or cocktail sauce)..lemon juice and sardines.

babytiger

I like the canned ones in either white bread or rice. With generous amount of hot sauce.

nutcakes

I like them on crackers with Dijon mustard.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

I liked them chunky mashed with lemon and scallion, with a slice of fresh bread.

Drew Parma

A heads up- there's a big sardine sale at VitalChoice website right now, and it's still going: http://www.vitalchoice...

Their 24 pack of sardine filets are $47. That would be about $1.95/ can with an average 2.73 grams omega 3 in each. I got them a bit cheaper by getting my cart total to at least $99 (free shipping) and using a 10% off coupon code that has expired (awvc16 works right now though). So, ordered 48 total sardine filet cans, plus a $10 organic spice blend- total of $93.60. Each can would average to be $1.76. They are probably the highest quality sardine brand I've had in the past!

In regards to the best way to prepare them? I roast up some slices of golden beets in the oven coated in olive oil, cumin powder, garlic powder, fennel powder, a bit of cayenne and sea salt, plus a little grated ginger root afterwoods mixed in, and some type of crispy greens baked as well for that crunchy texture. To make it really tasty I add a corn tortilla and will try to add as much I can of the baked beets and greens in there for that taco experience.

I know this is an old thread, but since it popped up with Drew Parma's info on a great sale, here's one more way:
you can also grill them (or griddle them if they're too small) & serve them with a cucumber mint relish. A la Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby in NYTimes, 15 Sept 1999.