Recipe calling for "full fat plain yogurt" - Greek yogurt?

I looked high and low last night but could only find nonfat plain yogurt at the store! The only thing with fat and plain was Fage Greek. The recipe is for the cookie portion of key lime whoopie pies. Thanks

asked by AndyFL over 6 years ago

Reiney
Reiney

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

That'll do it. Greek hovers around 11%+ and is just a bit thicker, but great for cooking with.

AndyFL

Thanks all - went with the Greek and the cookies seemingly turned out great. Will confirm later once we actually take a bite :)

chefsusie

Saturated Fat
FULLl-fat Greek yogurt is high in saturated fat not only because it's made from whole milk but it also becomes concentrated when the liquid whey is drained during production. A 1-cup serving of plain full-fat Greek yogurt from the manufacturer Fage contains 310 calories; 210 come from 23 g of total fat, of which 18 g is saturated fat.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/532945-nutritional-facts-for-full-fat-greek-yogurt/#ixzz1xu0PZgtJ

I guess this is why make my own yogurt from 2% milk!

Ophelia

I've found it difficult to find full fat yogurt as well, sometimes it's in the "natural food" section of the grocery store. I get mine at Trader Joe's, but I end up having to buy the big tubs.
I would go with the Greek Yogurt, maybe thin it down a little with milk to get it to vaguely the right texture. You could also probably use full fat sour cream.

bigpan

I've switched to Greek yogurt for all recipes - with great success. On occasion you might need to thin with milk or cream.

ChefOno

Lance is one of my heroes, I've supported Livestrong since day one so I'm sorry to say the nutrition information on that site is about as reliable as Wikipedia.

Comparing the data at Livestrong vs. www.fageusa.com/products/fage-total-classic/ reveals huge discrepancies. 8 gr. of saturated fat per cup vs. 18 for instance. There's that much saturated fat in 2 ounces of olive oil.

Make of that what you will…