Does anyone know an easy and reliable way to make sauerkraut?

I have some garden fresh cabbage that I really want to turn into sauerkraut, but I'm not exactly sure what to do. I have googled it and seen different things, so I'm curious to see if anyone has done it before with good results. Thanks!

asked by katiebakes over 6 years ago

chefsusie

I have done it with my Grandfather. Its a pretty simple procedure. Clean cabbage, thinly slice and salt cabbage. Salt and use a brine (if needed) Cover. When gas bubbles form: fermenation has begun. remove scum. Store in cool place. Fermenation takes 3-6 weeks. Cabbage and pickling salt and time: some tasty sauerkraut! Also a food that has natural pre-biotics!

bigpan

You are very energetic !
I would buy a jar of quality European made kraut and add anything you want to make it yours.