Presale! 2 new cookbooks from Food52. Claim your signed copies »

Does anyone know an easy and reliable way to make sauerkraut?

I have some garden fresh cabbage that I really want to turn into sauerkraut, but I'm not exactly sure what to do. I have googled it and seen different things, so I'm curious to see if anyone has done it before with good results. Thanks!

asked by katiebakes over 4 years ago
959cbed1 6d53 423b a801 4cdce9613645  open uri.13930

I have done it with my Grandfather. Its a pretty simple procedure. Clean cabbage, thinly slice and salt cabbage. Salt and use a brine (if needed) Cover. When gas bubbles form: fermenation has begun. remove scum. Store in cool place. Fermenation takes 3-6 weeks. Cabbage and pickling salt and time: some tasty sauerkraut! Also a food that has natural pre-biotics!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

You are very energetic !
I would buy a jar of quality European made kraut and add anything you want to make it yours.

Join Our Email List!

Inbox Inspiration:

Our newsletter is brimming with recipes and features that have us talking—dive in!

A Joyful Home:

Sign up to get $10 off a first purchase of $50 or more in our shop full of tools & treasures.

Come On In:

Join our humming community and get dibs on events, peeks at new cookbooks, and a surprise or two.