The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

If you are making cabbage soup, for the cabbage soup diet. Is it ok to substitute sauerkraut for the fresh cabbage?

Because of the chemical change is the nutrition changed?

asked by Doreen Nestell-Burt about 2 years ago

I would! Sounds like a tasty variation. I make that soup often, especially this time of year. In fact, here's my version https://food52.com/recipes..., although I change it up a bit every time I make it.

8df2422c 7a1d 4149 aa38 1fc73f78c616  stringio

I always keep it on hand in the freezer for a revamp after a big cheat on my lifestyle change. I found sauerkraut on sale and have a bunch i wondered. I am gonna soak some of the sodium out. I will definitely checkout your recipe and let you know how it turns out!

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

It is up to your taste. Sauerkraut is a bit acidic, but you can always rinse it. I still prefer fresh cabbage in soup though. If you don't want to wait the time for the cabbage to soften, try a variety of soft leaf Asian cabbage.

This is a great answer. I did rinse it and so far so good on the cooking. I actually like the crispness of cabbage.