oh nuts!

Has anyone a tip on how to crack open a pistachio nut when still closed? There are always a few in the bag. I've tried the flat of a knife, but it mostly smashes them.

• Posted by: teamom
  • June 19, 2012

Maedl June 19, 2012

I hate to say it, but I usually toss those out. I have come so close to cutting myself or smashing my fingers that I finally decided it was better for my body to just pitch those few nuts. I hope someone will post a good suggestion on this.

a Whole Foods Market Customer

You might try to roast the closed nuts for a few minutes in a hot oven to see if they crack. Even if they crack just a little bit, they'll be easier to get into. If you can get a small access point, you can pry the two halves of the shell open with another half of an already-eaten nut.

Rachel Sanders
Rachel Sanders June 19, 2012

I just use a nutcracker... works pretty well! :)

bigpan
bigpan June 19, 2012

I thought I once heard unopened pistachios are like unopened clams - if they are not open then toss them.

Rachel Sanders
Rachel Sanders June 19, 2012

Oh, interesting!

ChefOno
ChefOno June 19, 2012

The shell splits when the nut is ripe, i.e. unopened nuts are immature. However, the only danger would be from breaking a tooth trying to bite one open. You can crack them with a nut cracker or a garlic press (and you thought a garlic press was a one-task tool).

Maedl June 20, 2012

I love the garlic press idea. I bought one years ago thinking it would make life easier and quickly gave up on that idea. I'll have to resurrect the thing from the muddle at the back of the drawer. I'll also try the roasting idea!