🔕 🔔

oh nuts!

Has anyone a tip on how to crack open a pistachio nut when still closed? There are always a few in the bag. I've tried the flat of a knife, but it mostly smashes them.

asked by teamom over 5 years ago

I hate to say it, but I usually toss those out. I have come so close to cutting myself or smashing my fingers that I finally decided it was better for my body to just pitch those few nuts. I hope someone will post a good suggestion on this.

Wholefoods user icon

You might try to roast the closed nuts for a few minutes in a hot oven to see if they crack. Even if they crack just a little bit, they'll be easier to get into. If you can get a small access point, you can pry the two halves of the shell open with another half of an already-eaten nut.

3274dd01 68df 403c a7b7 dc04541caaf8  dsc 0102 2

I just use a nutcracker... works pretty well! :)

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I thought I once heard unopened pistachios are like unopened clams - if they are not open then toss them.

Oh, interesting!

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

The shell splits when the nut is ripe, i.e. unopened nuts are immature. However, the only danger would be from breaking a tooth trying to bite one open. You can crack them with a nut cracker or a garlic press (and you thought a garlic press was a one-task tool).

I love the garlic press idea. I bought one years ago thinking it would make life easier and quickly gave up on that idea. I'll have to resurrect the thing from the muddle at the back of the drawer. I'll also try the roasting idea!