🔕 🔔

What is a good dessert to make on a wood stove?

I'm going "glamping" next week, and will only have a wood stove on which to cook dessert for 12 adults and 9 children. Any ideas for things that can be made stovetop only? Not smores - we'll be making those another day...

asked by sunnyluz over 5 years ago

It sounds like you mean a campfire with a grate over it (based on your smores comment). If that's the case I would toast some pound cake, grill some stone fruit (like peaches) with some butter and sugar, and add some whipped cream.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

Toasted pound cake with grilled peaches sounds yummy. I was picturing a large cast iron wood-burning stove that some cabins have; they are primarily used for heating a room but they usually have a burner or two for cooking. Is that what you will have?
The first things that came to mind - provided you can enough control of the heat - were crepes, puddings, rice krispy treats, kettle corn...
Will you have an area with hot all-day sun? If you have an interest in science you could try building a solar oven. I did it once and made brownies; they took about four hours if I remember correctly....

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would make one or two clafoutis. You can do in aluminum containers from the grocery store. Maybe one with cherries, one with another fruit (plum?).
If you have a fridge or store nearby, serve with ice cream (vanilla).
Can be made ahead and served room temp or reheat a bit to warm.