🔕 🔔

Is ClearJel perceptibly superior to regular cornstarch when canning pie fillings?

I'm considering a Naptime Chef recipe for blueberry pie filling that calls for regular cornstarch. I've never used ClearJel and apparently can only get it online. I had hoped to put up 8 or 10 quarts of blueberries this weekend. Your thoughts? Thanks so much. ;o)

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

No personal experience but this may be of help:

http://www.foodsafety.wisc...

Cornstarch can impart a rather distinctive flavor, and not in a good way. And it has a tendency to get watery, if that makes any sense.

I have used cornstarch for years without an off taste. You just need to make sure you mix it completely

7b500f1f 3219 4d49 8161 e2fc340b2798  flower bee

I believe that ClearJel is pectin based. Cornstarch on the other hand has the potential of overcooking (what happens to some custards when they get boiled past a certain point or reheated) and weeping or breaking the created bond of liquids.Since you will be rpocessing additionally in water bath, you may need to keep that in mind when you decide on your recipe's implementation. Additionally cornstarch will impart some cloudiness/opacity as well.

Here's what the USDA has to say about home-canning pie filling:

“Clear Jel®” is a chemically modified corn starch that produces excellent sauce consistency even after fillings are canned and baked. Other available starches break down when used in these pie fillings, causing a runny sauce consistency."

More here:

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications...

Make sure you purchase the regular and not the instant version.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

I use instant tapioca in my fruit pies. It doesn't break down in acidic fillings, when frozen or under high heat. And it adds the shine.

Clear jel is used when you cook something twice, first when you can it then when you cook it again to make a pie or turnover or etc. I use clear jel to make my canned apple pie filling so it won't break down when I use it in a pie later.

15e23675 44ea 4ae1 80be cb0741acd112  ehanhan4

This link might help with your question. It seems like if you don't want to use clear jel, that it is better to can pie filling without cornstarch at all. When you go to make the pie, cook down your filling with cornstarch before adding it to your shell.

http://www.sbcanning.com...