🔕 🔔

Canning Peach Pie Filling

Hello friends! It peach season here on the Front Range of Colorado (yah!). Was thinking that they are so amazingly good this time of year and I would like to try and put some up. I've already done pickles this year and blueberry jam with some early blueberries. But I confess, I have never canned peaches. I cannot think of a good reason why I haven't done this. *Pauses* Yah, I've got nothing. Would love to water bath can some peach pie filling and thought I would ask you fine, creative people if you have any good recipes you like. I can always google it, but really? My F52 family is sooo much better than google.

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

asked 3 months ago

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I can't speak to a peach pie filling, but I have been canning peaches via Anna Thomas for decades. She makes a simple syrup in which she poaches the peaches, and adds either rum or brandy to each quart jar. It's a recipe for brandied apricots, but can be amended for smaller peaches. https://books.google.com...

Rachael - this has gotta be good - https://food52.com/recipes...

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Looks amazing! Plus, it's MrsWheelbarrow who I trust for all the canning info. Saving now..... :)

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

You might check out the Food in Jars blog. She has a lot of creative ideas for putting up fruits, she also knows all the safety rules so nothing goes wrong. I didn't see pie filling there but I have made peach chutney and have made peach and ginger jam and a peach and plum jam that was very good.

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

thanks - I will make sure to check it out!

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I miss Colorado peach season!!!!

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

And don't forget about the Rocky Ford cantaloupes! And Olathe Corn! This time of year is the best out here. My husband stopped on the way home the other day at the farm stand at the end of the corn field and picked up the trifecta - corn, peaches and cantaloupe. One got steamed, one got eaten raw immediately and one got diced and chilled. Heaven.

I'd try the pie filling recipe, but wouldn't make more than two or three quarts. Here's why: first, you'll have more flexibility with peaches put up in brandy or other booze. For example, you can serve them on their own with vanilla ice cream topped with raspberry vanilla puree (Peche Melba! Retro, but really wonderful). You can use them in crisps or cobblers, where you don't need or want the filling to be as stiff as a pie filling.
Second, I've found that home-canned fruit pie fillings end up a bit more liquid (including when using MrsWheelbarrow's recipes) after canning and then opening after 6 months, than they were when I canned the fruit. This no doubt is attributable to the variability in the moisture content of the fruit - some fruit is really juicy, other, less so.
This year, I'm not making pie filling at all, just fruit in syrups. I can add the thickener later, when actually putting together the pie or crisp or cobbler. I'll drain the liquid, boil it down, add the thickener in a slurry, cook it up to thicken, add the fruit, and heat it all through. Yes, it's an extra step, but worth the few minutes and an easy pot-cleanup to be able to adjust as necessary.
Hope this helps! ;o)

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Thanks AJ - you always have the best advice. I'm not scared of a few extra steps!

Also, love Mme Ferber's recipe for "Two Kinds of Apricot Jam" which I make with whatever stone fruit is on hand (dried apricots are the other kind of apricot, which of course I include). Made with Gewurz or Riesling, it's divine! One of the best jams I've ever made, and since discovering it, I've made many dozens of jars. Send me a note if you'd like the recipe. I cannot post it, as it is copyrighted; sharing privately is fair use. ;o)

You can also use it to make ice cream or gelato.

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Actually, the blueberry jam I made last weekend - i tried to get cute and leave out the pectin and just try with a kiwi (which I had heard acts as a natural thickener). Well, it's a little runnier than I like. But....it is amazing on TOP of ice cream and over pancakes. My 7 year old approves....