Waterbath sealing a jar of jam that has 1.5" headspace left?

43552647 f299 4b0b be22 8726e9fbdcfc  nik 8473

I've never had this happen! My final jar of cherry-cardamom jam came up just short and has about an inch and a half of head space. Can I waterbath seal it safely, or should I just put this one in the fridge?

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

ChefOno

Happens to me every time.

Stick it in the fridge and use it first. Too much air can lead to oxidization / discoloring and the jar might not seal properly with the extra space.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Gotcha! Thanks all. It was more than would fit in a tiny jar and then I'd just have the same problem was my first response. Then I got lazy (third batch in 2 days) and didn't feel like sterilizing a new tiny jar. Aah well. :) Guess I'll just have to eat it. SO good.