Waterbath sealing a jar of jam that has 1.5" headspace left?

43552647 f299 4b0b be22 8726e9fbdcfc  nik 8473

I've never had this happen! My final jar of cherry-cardamom jam came up just short and has about an inch and a half of head space. Can I waterbath seal it safely, or should I just put this one in the fridge?

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

asked about 6 years ago

ChefOno

Happens to me every time.

Stick it in the fridge and use it first. Too much air can lead to oxidization / discoloring and the jar might not seal properly with the extra space.

LizW

I guess you're in the States, in Britain we never water bath jams and jellies, but seal the surface with waxed paper or in my case melted food grade paraffin wax.

ChefOno

Paraffin is no longer considered an acceptable choice as it can allow mold to contaminate the product. Food scientists are concerned not only about possible toxins but also that mold may be carcinogenic. Compare the little extra time required for proper processing to the cost of the ingredients and the ick factor of opening a jar of moldy preserves.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications...

ChefOno

Just to be clear, that was meant in a "you might want to know about this" way rather than judgmental or whatever.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Gotcha! Thanks all. It was more than would fit in a tiny jar and then I'd just have the same problem was my first response. Then I got lazy (third batch in 2 days) and didn't feel like sterilizing a new tiny jar. Aah well. :) Guess I'll just have to eat it. SO good.