Waterbath sealing a jar of jam that has 1.5" headspace left?

I've never had this happen! My final jar of cherry-cardamom jam came up just short and has about an inch and a half of head space. Can I waterbath seal it safely, or should I just put this one in the fridge?

43552647 f299 4b0b be22 8726e9fbdcfc  nik 8473

ChefOno
ChefOno June 23, 2012

Happens to me every time.

Stick it in the fridge and use it first. Too much air can lead to oxidization / discoloring and the jar might not seal properly with the extra space.

Voted the Best Reply!

arcane54
arcane54 June 23, 2012

I agree, refrigerate and use first. To consider next time you're cooking up a batch of preserves: those teeny-tiny canning jars come in handy (I think they fit about a half-cup or less). I always wash 2-3 when I can jam to accommodate those awkward but precious last bits. They make a a nice hostess gift (with or without a basket of biscuits or scones). Cherry-cardamom jam sounds delicious!

em-i-lis
em-i-lis June 23, 2012

Gotcha! Thanks all. It was more than would fit in a tiny jar and then I'd just have the same problem was my first response. Then I got lazy (third batch in 2 days) and didn't feel like sterilizing a new tiny jar. Aah well. :) Guess I'll just have to eat it. SO good.