🔕 🔔

Making sour cherry chutney- can I can like I would jam?

Hi, I want to make a batch of sour cherry chutney for the first time. I've canned lots of jam and preserves using the water bath method. Do/Can I process chutney in the same way if I want to give some as gifts? Thank you!!

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I can all of my chutneys and they are fine! It has a good amount of sugar and vinegar ... make sure to boil the full 15-20 minutes (I usually err on the side of additional time when in doubt)

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Fantastic, aargersi. From reading through your recipes, I can tell you are a real pro. Thanks much!!!

I know I don't really need to answer because it's already been said, but yes, you definitely can! ;)

em-i-lis

Many thanks, ChefJune! Congrats on your crab beignets, btw! :)

E7631379 1f7d 41c1 9063 6c99e823b0ba  twitterhed

There's no way to tell from what you've said whether there's sufficient acid in the recipe to make it safe for water-bath canning. Most chutneys have low-acid ingredients like peppers and onions in them, which can bring the pH up to above safe levels. Botulism is a very real danger, and you should not water-bath can untested recipes.

em-i-lis

Thanks, Hedonia. Why are jams fine for water-bath canning then?
As you can tell, I've not canned anything other than fruit jams and brandied peaches before. Thanks all!

It depends on the jam. Most fruits, like berries and stone fruit, are sufficiently high in acid, and so long as you don't add low-acid things to alter the pH, they're fine. Some fruits, like figs, are not, and need to be acidified to be brought up to safe levels. Tested recipes such as those put out by the USDA and Ball have had their acid levels tested professionally to ensure a pH of 4.6 or higher, which will kill botulin spores. Otherwise they can reproduce in anoxic conditions, which is when they produce the toxin that causes botulism.

em-i-lis

Very informative. Many thanks!

When in doubt, always check here: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

I'm 100% with Hedonia on this one. But take heart, as there must be plenty of sour cherry jam chutney recipes out there. (Actually, I'd have no hesitation substituting sour cherries for regular cherries in a recipe for a chutney using the latter, as all cherries have similar pH levels, with sour cherries being more acidic.) Once you find a cherry chutney recipe you like, you can tinger with the spices to your heart's content. ;o)

em-i-lis

I very much appreciate all this advice, food52ers. I read the UGA canning guide cover to cover and found a great rhubarb chutney recipe that I added the sour cherries to. It's divine! Do y'all try to eat your canned goods within a year's time?