🔕 🔔

Why does short crust pastry dough turn out flaky and not roll properly?

asked by Kanika almost 6 years ago

ChefOno

Great response and lots of good tips! I wonder if the problem of "flaky and won't roll" could be describing "crumbly and won't roll"? If so, it could be due to improper measuring of the flour and / or not properly cutting in the fat.

Weighing the flour is easier and *far* more accurate than using a cup measure, but if you insist on using cups, scoop up the flour from the bin and strike it level with the back of a knife.

The fat needs to be *cold* and worked into the flour just so -- not too much or the flour won't hydrate properly. I use a food processor, I freeze my fat (half butter, half lard), and I cut it in until the remaining lumps are about the size of peas.

Bill F

Not a long answer here...butter