Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

I'm looking for a tried and true recipe for blueberry preserves. Any ideas?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 4 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

I haven't tried this recipe, but it looks simple and good (you can leave out the herbs if you like): Blueberry-Lemon Verbena Preserves http://grist.org/article...

0e5c2b73 3f18 46e4 95c9 cbc8af359f65  sadie crop
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

I wish I'd written down where I got this recipe from, but sadly, I did not. However, it is ambrosial and you will love it!

Blueberry Jam with Balsamic Vinegar

2½ lbs small blueberries
1 pound, 14 oz white cane sugar
5 oz strained lemon juice
1 oz balsamic vinegar
1 (1 inch) piece cinnamon stick
several drops pure vanilla extract

Put several spoons in freezer.

Combine all ingredients in non-reactive kettle. Place pan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the juice begins to run from the berries. When it starts flowing freely, stop stirring and let the mixture cook for 1 - 2 minutes. Then, stir well and increase the heat to high. Continue to cook, stirring very frequently, until the mixture boils. Once it reaches a boil, cook for 10 to 15 minutes more, stirring frequently, and decreasing the heat slightly if the jam starts to stick. Begin testing for doneness after 10 minutes.

To test, place a half-spoonful on a frozen spoon and return to freezer for 3 - 4 minutes. Remove and feel the underside of the spoon - it should be neither warm nor cold. If still warm, return it to the freezer for a moment. Tilt the spoon vertically to see whether the jam runs; if it does not, it is ready. If it does, cook the jam for another few minutes, stirring, and test again as needed.

Turn off the heat, but do not stir. Skim any foam from the surface and discard. Pour into sterilized jars and process.

Thanks so much, Diana- I just finished making a batch of this and it is delicious. I am thrilled to include this in my favorite recipes.

This looks a lot like Rachel Saunders' recipe. I'm not 100% sure and I don't have the book handy. The method is entirely hers, and seems very familiar as drafted. In her book, she describes the variation without including a separate ingredient list for making the balsamic jam (The basic recipe, which I've used, calls for 6 ounces of lemon juice; the variation calls for substituting one ounce of balsamic vinegar.) The basic recipe produces an excellent jam -- and I've made hundreds of jars of blueberry jam over the years. I'm planning to use this variation, in fact, this weekend. ;o)

Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Oh, and here's another:

Blueberry Lime Jam

2 cups of blueberries
1 T. bottled lime juice
1 cups of sugar
2 t. grated lime rind
1 package small batch pectin or 1½ T. Ball Flex batch pectin

Combine fruit, lime and sugar, cook till boiling. Add pectin and cook till boiling again and time for one minute. Turn off heat and ladle into 2 half-pint jars. Process for 10 minutes in waterbath once the water is at a full boil. Makes 2 half-pint jars