Continuing with guilty (non) pleasures... What are the things everyone else loves and you know you SHOULD love, but just can't stand?

I've been thinking about this one for a while, and I'd love other people's ideas. What are the foods that everyone else is constantly raving about, that are huge in food and blog circles, but you just... don't like?

I'll start, and pray not to be judged too harshly: brussels sprouts, anchovies or other very fishy-tasting fish, capers, truffles (the mushroom kind, not the chocolate kind - and I don't know why), fennel/anise flavors, and peanut butter in desserts.

• Posted by: LucyS
  • June 30, 2012

Esther Plume
Esther Plume June 30, 2012

Scallops - over priced and over rated... Sorry!

Linn
Linn June 30, 2012

Scallops are definitely expensive and I hear you. But just in case, let me share a buying note with you I only recently learned from my favorite fishmonger. Many scallopes have been dipped in a chemical solution that both extends shelf life and causes the scallop to retain water. That means we pay a high price for less concentrated flavor. "Dry" scallops are those scallops that are not dipped.

pierino June 30, 2012

Fresh scallops make a big difference, as in those ones sometimes called diver scallops that are delivered to the restaurant or the fishmonger while still in the shell like clams or mussels. But yes, most scallops in the supermarket have already been shelled and frozen on board the boat. I've busted more than one restaurant for putting "diver scallops" on their menu when they clearly weren't.

Linn
Linn June 30, 2012

Cottage cheese and acorn squash.

sdebrango June 30, 2012

I have a hard time with quinoa, can eat it just not crazy about it. It never turns out really good when I make it.

savorthis
savorthis July 9, 2012

Have you tried red quinoa or the rainbow kind? I am not crazy about the pale variety, but the red quinoa is nutty tasting when we do an asiany grilled salmon, I will reduce the marinade for a sauce and it's quite good.

Melusine
Melusine June 30, 2012

Anything with a hint of licorice flavor -- from anise to fennel to Twizzlers, red or black.

drbabs June 30, 2012

Offal of any type. Really rich foods like creme fraiche, heavy cream sauces, fatty meat (I seriously don't get the obsession with short ribs). Oysters, clams, mussels. (Too slimy for me.) I still try everything, but like most people I have specific tastes. Which is a good thing because my husband hates a lot of things that I love (strong cheese, olives, capers, artichokes, mustard, mayo, curry, cilantro, a lot of herbs, etc....) and I do my best to respect that. I've also noticed that my tastes continue to change. I used to hate sausage for example; now I like it. My husband used to hate anything spicy; now he likes heat. So I say keep experimenting even if you think you don't like something. (Unless it's an allergy, and then it's a whole other story).

pierino June 30, 2012

Fajitas.

Kristen W.
Kristen W. June 30, 2012

Olives. Still hoping I'll develop a taste for them since they show up frequently in cuisines I love, but so far, no luck.

boulangere June 30, 2012

Drbabs and I will not be dining on offal together. And I'll pass on the brussels sprouts as well, thank you for asking.

sdebrango June 30, 2012

Would lima beans be in there too??

boulangere June 30, 2012

OMG, sdb, I swore off lima beans so long ago, I'd actually forgotten how much I absolutely despise them! Thanks!

savorthis
savorthis July 9, 2012

I never liked brussels sprouts growing up, but then my husband made them for me and I was a convert. He halved them, browned the cut sides in olive oil, added slivered garlic and a splash of broth then covered them until they were crisp tender. Loved them. David Chang's dish with the sweet/sour fish sauce and puffed rice is also a regular at our house and you can't go wrong cooking shredded brussels with bacon and caramelized onions with balsamic drizzle. Well, maybe you can if you still don't like them....but I learned to!

Third Floor Kitchen
Third Floor Kitchen June 30, 2012

Liver. I used to come home from school and cringe when I saw my mother had pulled out her avocado green electric skillet. This always meant one of two things: pork chops seared and seasoned with salt and pepper (which I loved) or liver and onions (the sight of which sent me to the depths of despair). And when I say liver and onions, I mean liver that was barely seared and served at a dinner table where neither me or my three older sisters were allowed to leave until we finished our portion. Many is the night I remember when the table was cleared, the dishes were done, and I was alone at the table staring at a piece of liver that I couldn't get down without gagging. Rescue always came in the angelic form of my sister Eileen who would leave the family room gathering around the TV and sweep into the kitchen, scoop up the offending organ meat with her bare hand, silently open the door into the back yard, and fling it into the tomato plants. She would then wash her hands, whisper "Wait five minutes" and then head back to the TV where my mom was, no doubt, engrossed in Marcus Welby, M.D.

LucyS
LucyS June 30, 2012

This is wonderful.

Assonta Wagner
Assonta Wagner May 11, 2015

Oh my goodness, how I wish I had an older sister like that. I had liver WEEKLY for iron deficiency as a child. My sister and I learned to swallow those pieces whole. We chewed once and never again. Now, we can swallow any pill~no matter the size.

klrcon
klrcon May 12, 2015

Thank god we had a dog, who always knew to park himself under the table so we could slip him the liver chunks when Mom wasn't looking. But now that I'm anemic I find myself trying to find a palatable way to eat the stuff because I need the iron and boy, let me tell you, it's a struggle.

kareema
kareema August 31, 2017

I never liked liver until I tried two kinds: lamb liver and venison liver. Both cooked briefly in butter so they weren't tough. YUM.

BerryBaby September 1, 2017

When I was a child my aunt would tell me if I didn't eat liver, I'd get liver spots! No amount if catsup could cover that taste and the texture was so icky! I remember sitting at the table crying like crazy until my mom caved and said I only had to take one small bite. I lived through it.

sdebrango June 30, 2012

I once sat at the table all night, no family member came to my rescue. Still to this day I cannot look at a piece of liver with or without onions. Did you get the " there are starving children that would be thrilled to have your dinner" speech.

rt21
rt21 June 30, 2012

Oatmeal, had nightmares about it as a child, polenta and grits have since been added to the list, also.... Cod liver oil..... Always made me gag

beyondcelery
beyondcelery June 30, 2012

I've never been able to get into shellfish, or really most fish. Something to do with family vacations along the coast during which my dad would pull the car over, run inside little fishy shacks for oyster sliders, and run back out 10 minutes later to continue our journey? Don't know. But my husband works at a Seattle restaurant now that's known for its fish, so I do plan on giving certain things another try. Oh, and I'm very lukewarm on mashed potatoes (unless it's Colcannon). Of course, I am a recovering vegetarian with a firm belief that something previously disliked may turn out to be delicious, when properly prepared.

pierino June 30, 2012

"delicious when properly prepared" is the operative phrase here. Personally I'm totally down with offal; sweetbreads, tripes etc. It's the pop fad of the moment foods that I find disappointing. I should add Texas Toast to my list.

boulangere June 30, 2012

Yeah, Pierino, they are the bee's knees these days. I just don't eat them because they tend to be where toxins concentrate, and our food supply has enough of those in it already.

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 30, 2012

me too beyondcelery!

sweetlolo
sweetlolo June 30, 2012

Salmon and beets are the only two foods I absolutely won't eat under any circumstances and they seem to appear on virtually every restaurant menu. If there is a beet anywhere on the plate the whole dish is ruined for me and i cant eat. I've also never learned to like olives or roasted red peppers, but I keep trying since they also seem to be in everything.

LucyS
LucyS July 1, 2012

Beets! Can't stand them.

savorthis
savorthis July 9, 2012

I used to hate beets. I would try them every year in every form but I could only taste perfumed dirt. I even swallowed chunks whole once at a party where they were placed in front of me already plated. I had to swallow gulps of wine to rid the taste. Then somehow, miraculously, last year I had my very first hint of maybe, sort of, liking a beet at a restaurant. So I tried making them at home- roasted and toasty with a walnut vinaigrette, crumbly cheese and bitter greens (hiding them as much as I could) and found that I actually liked them. Not enough to eat the whole platter or have them again any time soon- but I started to see the light. I still felt gaggy smelling them roasting in the oven though- so I hear you.

threefresheggs
threefresheggs June 30, 2012

Apparently, as per the previous guilt question, SPAM, cheetos and Kraftveeta.

petitbleu
petitbleu June 30, 2012

Watermelon. Can't explain it. I love cantaloupe and other melons, but watermelon just isn't my thing. In fact, I've been known to throw the watermelon flesh to the chickens and use the rind for pickles.

Dianemwj
Dianemwj June 30, 2012

Rosemary. To me it tastes the way Pinesol smells and ruins whatever dish it is in. I have tried and tried to like it, but I just don't. I suppose I'll just have to live with my rosemary aversion.

I can't stand liver either (or any organ meats) and I also have memories of coming home and finding my mother cooking it with onions. I would burst into tears. My parents also made me sit at the table for hours, staring at the congealing, horrible chunk of liver on my plate, until they finally gave up and let me go to bed. I still won't go near it.

Any strong tasting fish. I don't get salmon at all. It's everywhere and I think it's just awful. I do like beets though.

kareema
kareema August 31, 2017

I'm like this with cloves. Has to be VERY subtle for me to like it.

But.... I'm a marine biologist. Anything out of the water, I'll eat. Sea cucumbers, eel, limpets, clams, oysters, fish, urchins, etc.... I'm for it.

kbckitchen
kbckitchen June 30, 2012

Cilantro = having my mouth washed out with soap as a child when I sassed my mama

pierino June 30, 2012

Cilantro is interesting. I used to think that people who didn't like cilantro were just plain sissies (sometimes I still feel that way) but I've come to realize that some people are simply, genetically tuned to not taste anything but soap and miss the lovely herb flavor completely.Which is unfortunate. I'm willing to put it on my Cheerios in the morning.

Miafoodie
Miafoodie June 30, 2012

You can add me to the list of people who do not care for Cilantro.
When a recipe calls for it I always subsitute parsley.

ChefJune July 2, 2012

...and apparently it's a genetic thing. I keep trying cilantro, and if it's been added "sparingly" I can sometimes tolerate it, but mostly it ruins for me whatever dish it has flavored. :-(

kareema
kareema August 31, 2017

That is SUCH a genetic thing. I personally like it.

sfmiller
sfmiller June 30, 2012

Strong anise flavors (and I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this), especially in sweets. With me, licorice or Ouzo could be instruments of torture.

I dislike mint in desserts, although I'm fine with it in savory dishes.

Gelatinous textures: Jello, aspics, etc.

pierino June 30, 2012

One of the few cocktails I permit myself these days especially in the summer is pastis (Pernod, Ricard et. al.). Heavy on the anise flavor and alcohol content so I'll average maybe one per month. You can smell it across the room. Served simply with no ice, and just chilled water to make it cloudy.

As far as "gelatinous" sfmiller your missing out on some of the cool molecular gastronomy chefs are doing with ingredients like olive oil. They turn into this little olive bomb in your mouth.

sexyLAMBCHOPx June 30, 2012

Beets, Cilantro, Coconut Milk, Lemongrass, lamb...

boulangere June 30, 2012

Oh, and coconut water, also de rigeur these days. Gross consistency. Really gross.

amysarah June 30, 2012

Ugh, I so agree. And I am a major, life long coconut fanatic - fresh, anything cooked with coconut milk, coconut pie, cake, cookies, ice cream - love it all. I'm sure the road to heaven is paved in Almond Joys. But coconut water? Vile.

boulangere June 30, 2012

Yes, amysarah, also give me coconut in any form other than that vile water.

hardlikearmour July 1, 2012

I wonder if you'd like it straight from the coconut like they serve in Puerto Rico as "coco frio"? I find it perfectly refreshing.

kareema
kareema August 31, 2017

Coconut water is okay. Coconut oil, OTOH, is gross to me. The packaging told me to just add salt if I wanted to lessen the coconut flavor when using it to cook something in. Just made it taste like salty coconut oil. Gack.

Sam1148 June 30, 2012

Ahh the Cilantro haters. Yes, they do detect it as 'soap' in fact it has aldehydes similar to those found in soap.

But all is not lost for Cilantro lovers, a compromise can be reached.
My SO hates Cilantro...but when making green thai curry paste he'll just use the stem and roots. The "Soap taste" is mostly in the leaf....the flavor taste is in the stem and roots. So He'll actually purchase cilantro and go Morticia Adams on on a bunch triming off the leaf leaving just a bundle of stems. And he'll enjoy that chopped up in salsas, thai curries, etc. And at middle eastern resturants where they serve Cilantro as herb with the flat bread...he'll pick off the leaf and only the stems. And trying that myself, the stems still have the flavor I like but for him the soap element is gone. So, it's win/win.

In fact many thai recipes call specifically for the root or stem only of Cilantro.

ChefOno
ChefOno July 1, 2012

I'll have to see if that makes a difference for me, thanks. I'm on the fence about the herb, a little is okay sometimes, overpowering at others.

LucyS
LucyS July 1, 2012

Sam, this is so interesting! My dad thinks that he hates cilantro, but he eats food and enjoys them where it is clearly present. Maybe now I can put it in foods for him...

Greenstuff June 30, 2012

One of my brothers cannot taste truffles. A waste of money for him.

LRoberts
LRoberts July 3, 2012

That is very sad.

Owen McLeod
Owen McLeod November 16, 2012

My mother simply despises even the scent of truffle, if someone at the other side of a restaurant has truffle it smells overpowering.

jmburns
jmburns June 30, 2012

Ginger, quinoa, and mango

SeaJambon
SeaJambon June 30, 2012

Oh dear - so many things that "everyone" likes that I really can't stand, starting with lobster (too sweet), mushrooms and figs. You can also add clams and oysters, though I am very fond of mussels. Love "salty" crab (like Dungeness or Blue) but not King Crab (like lobster -- too sweet). But, you know, there are so many wonderful foods that I do LOVE that I never feel left out (oh, yeah, not really keen on foie gras either, but give me a perfectly ripe nectarine and I'll swoon!).

kareema
kareema August 31, 2017

Just want to point out that FRESH king crab is amazing. Like eating it in Dutch Harbor, AK not 6 hrs out of the water fresh. Of course, as I was eating it in a harborside restaurant there, I saw the biggest damned rat EVER scuttling along the breakwater.

bugbitten
bugbitten June 30, 2012

Glad you asked. It started about twenty years ago with grilled chicken breast sandwiches. Tasteless and everywhere. Now they cut up the tasteless breast and "wrap" it in half-baked bread. Awful.

Rachel Sanders
Rachel Sanders July 1, 2012

Pineapple. And coconut. When I first saw coconut-pineapple ice cream in the grocery store, I threw up a little in my mouth. I know everyone loves both of those, but man I just can't stand them. But I do love coconut milk, so maybe there's hope for me yet?

chefsusie
chefsusie July 1, 2012

Ice cream. I make it for my kids though!

Rachel Sanders
Rachel Sanders July 1, 2012

That's pretty awesome that you make it even though you don't like it. I wonder, do your kids know you dislike ice cream? My mom used to make cous-cous all the time for me and my sister when we were little, and only recently did we find out that she actually hates cous-cous with a fiery passion.

ATL
ATL July 1, 2012

Contributing to the children are starving so you must eat approach of parents. . . My mother never, ever did that although she was in the correct age group to do so. Never made us finish something we didn't want.

Instead, she would say: "Just because children are starving is no reason for you to become a human garbage pail."

I think this enlightened approach to eating is one reason my sibs and I have never had weight issues. Thanks, Mom!

Peter
Peter July 1, 2012

Truffles. they taste like toe jam to me. why would ANYONE put those in or on their food is beyond me.

pierino July 1, 2012

Okay, Peter I'll take your truffles and your foie gras while you are not looking. No tournedos rossini for you my friend. When I was taking cooking classes I was pretty nimble at snagging ingredients from other cooks that they didn't even want to touch. Toe jam? Well the best runny cheeses smell like the feet of God.

pierino July 1, 2012

To fajitas and Texas toast, I'll have to add the chimichanga which recently became the official state food of Arizona. Is it a coincidence that all three are products of the two most legislatively neanderthal states in the union?

petitbleu
petitbleu July 1, 2012

While I've never tasted truffle proper, I have tasted truffle oil, and it can be fabulous, but it can also be completely overwhelming when used too copiously. As for cilantro, bring it on.
I have, however, thought of another personal dislike: licorice root in herbal teas. I taste nothing but licorice, and it has this really awful, tongue-shrinking effect on my mouth. This is somewhat puzzling because I do use star anise frequently, and I've never minded anise or licorice in a food context, but in tea it really gets to me.

hardlikearmour July 1, 2012

Salmon (or other fishy fish, though I love to use fish sauce and anchovies as seasoning, I can't eat them straight) & button mushrooms (really anything in the Agaricus genus tastes somewhat like moldy dirt to me.)

drbabs July 1, 2012

Hla, weren't you a finalist in the mushroom contest? Didn't you win?

hardlikearmour July 1, 2012

I was a finalist, but did not win. I created the recipe for my sister, who loves mushrooms! I do like other types of mushrooms - chanterelles, hedgehogs, and bear's head are probably my favorite.

threefresheggs
threefresheggs July 1, 2012

Turnips are *okay* raw, I guess (blec!). Gruyere, jarlsberg and all those other swissy cheeses. Green bell peppers.

boulangere July 1, 2012

Wheatgrass juice. I'm just not bovine enough.

sdebrango July 4, 2012

I'm with you on that never could get into wheatgrass juice.

Gibson2011
Gibson2011 July 1, 2012

Pickled beets: I remember as I child I thought it was cranberry sauce and eagerly bit into them only to be severely disappointed and forced to sit at the table till I finished them.
Black walnuts. I hate black walnuts. My grandmother used to bake with them all the time and again, as a child, when I'd ask if there were nuts in the chocolate chip cookies she'd tell me no. One bite was all it took to realize that was a lie.
Honey: again, bad childhood experience. I visited my great-grandmother and I had a cold at the time. To "cure" my cough, she gave me a tablespoon of honey and vinegar. Pretty awful. I kept coughing and got another four servings. For a long time even the smell of honey made me gag. It's getting better but I doubt I'll ever drizzle it over something and eat it.

Pegeen July 1, 2012

Chocolate, dark or white (and yes, I've had the good stuff!). Just no appeal to me at all, although I understand other people's deep craving for it.

ATG117
ATG117 July 1, 2012

I wish I disliked chocolate--it's' my downfall. To the coconut water haters, have you tried it cold? I find it unpleasant when warm, but when it's cold, it's absolutely refreshing. I know some folks don't like the taste. To them, I suggest the Vita Coco, the chocolate flavor. It's delicious. And great post-workout. Actually, the first time I tasted the chocolate variety was after a race, where they were handing it out at the finish line.

boulangere July 3, 2012

I became allergic to chocolate a few years ago, which I lament to this day. Nothing, however, could improve on tetra-packed coconut water. Nothing.

threefresheggs
threefresheggs July 1, 2012

I like the actual stuff out of the coconut, but that stuff in the tetra pak is gag inducing. sorry.

threefresheggs
threefresheggs July 1, 2012

'Massaged' kale. Please, please do not massage my food.

Benny
Benny July 1, 2012

I wouldn't say that this is huge in any food and blog circles, but I know a few people who swear by "Hawian" Pizza with pinneaples.... YUCK!

pierino July 2, 2012

Benny those "people" should be subject to some form of corporal punishment like having a Hawaiian pizza shoved in their face. Okay, I'm a bad man...

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen July 1, 2012

There are truly few foods I dislike, and some I disliked as a child I've learned to like over the years, but a few years ago I gave myself permission to dislike bell peppers. At first I just didn't like green bell peppers but then I realized I don't even like red. I will eat them if necessary, but I just don't enjoy them. And Whisky. I tried some of the best in Scotland recently and still have no taste for it.

pierino July 2, 2012

Even though I gave up drinking scotch three years ago---we were becoming too friendly with each other---I feel I must stand up for it. I miss that smell of opening a bottle of maybe Lagavulin and capturing that burnt tire fragrance. Better or worse, those days are over.

boulangere July 3, 2012

Yes, that smokiness is incomparable.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen July 10, 2012

I was very disappointed that I didn't like the whisky. I fully expected that when I had the good stuff that I would finally appreciate it. didn't happen for me, though my husband and son loved some that we tried.

HalfPint July 2, 2012

Nutella. People go ga-ga over it. I feel weird because I find it way too sweet and I can barely taste the hazelnut in it.

And while I don't hate it, I just am not a big chocolate fan. Sure I love my favorite chocolate cake (the recipe from Hershey's) and chocolate frosting (the Foolproof chocolate frosting from America's test kitchen), but given the choice between a chocolate dessert and anything else, I go for the non-chocolate dessert.

threefresheggs
threefresheggs July 4, 2012

Nutella is chocolate-hazelnut flavored margarine. Read the label. Eew!

meganvt01
meganvt01 July 2, 2012

Eel on sushi. Used to love it but after catching hundreds of the slimy, writhing beasts during the summer - I can't tolerate even the sight of it!

Hilarybee
Hilarybee July 2, 2012

I have always hated peanut butter! No amount of chocolate, jam or sugar can change my opinion. The consistency, the taste. everything about it. yuck. Living in Ohio makes this near sacrilege, but I loathe it.
I also have a strong dislike of hard boiled eggs. I've tried and tried and I just can't get over it!
I'm also not a big chocolate fan. I'd rather have caramel, or a creamy fruit dessert. or cinnamon. I'm also not a huge fan of chicken breast. Absolutely tasteless.

ChefJune July 2, 2012

Cottage cheese. I've never gotten the big deal about it. It's always looked to me like a baby spit up on the plate.

What's up with Halvah? I've always likened it to sweetened sand.

As a kid I used to like raisins, but now I don't -- unless they're soaked in rum. ;)

Most of the other things I don't like are weird stuff that lots of folks either don't like also, or don't even know what it is....

drbabs July 3, 2012

I only like raisins when they're covered in dark chocolate.

AntoniaJames July 2, 2012

You all would stunned by how long my list in response to this question is. Am insanely busy with client work; will respond later. This is a great thread. ;o)

Reiney
Reiney July 2, 2012

There are plenty of things I think are overrated - but I still enjoy them in certain contexts (foie gras & lobster, for example).

Truly can't stand, though? Raw green peppers, and sprouts of just about any kind. Actually I don't like any raw peppers, and accidentally eating them is made worse by the taste just lingering for ages after consumption.

pierino July 3, 2012

More: gluten free anything, lactose free anything, vegan anything. See where I'm going? There is a small but important portion of the population who legitimately are celiac but then there all these other idiots who will chase any fad. Same with cheese. Veganism is just plain stupid and then you have the neo-paleolithic people. One of my neighbors is into going back to "what our ancestors ate"; like raw milk. I told him, "has it occurred to you that your ancestors lived to be about 50 years old if they were lucky."

I do recognize that there are real celiacs, and real diabetics and people with nut or shellfish allergies. But some people insist on avoiding certain foods just because they read life style magazines or something.

AntoniaJames July 3, 2012

Interesting article in the New York Times on this topic the other day: http://tinyurl.com/7y6ltyt . ;o)

pierino July 3, 2012

AJ, I read that article and that stuff is just incendiary to me. You want to have guests for dinner and they bring their own diet food with them?? People used to pretend that this was just a silly LA thing when now it's much bigger than that.

AntoniaJames July 3, 2012

I found quite apt the terms "narcissism" and "infantilism" used by one of the people interviewed. And alas, that seems to be a trend that goes beyond food preferences. ;o)

Third Floor Kitchen

Pierino,

One of the things I absolutely respect and admire about the Food52 community is that there is a lack of the snarky comments that are so widespread on the Internet. While members of the Food52 community all have their strongly held opinions about food, their comments lack the peremptory tone of your declarative statement that “veganism is just plain stupid” or your sweeping assumption that adults who choose a vegan or gluten free diet without a medical reason are basing their decision on something they “read in a lifestyle magazine or something”. I was a vegan for many years and my decision to move to more of a vegetarian diet was a purely personal decision that was in no way based on any lack in the flavor, texture, or satisfaction based in vegan preparations of food. Nor was it based on anything I read about in a pop culture magazine. While I would characterize my cooking and eating as mostly vegetarian, I have no disdain for those choose to do otherwise. This is why I felt drawn to Food52 in the first place; a feeling of mutual respect for the preferences of others, ignoring our differences in favor for the tie that binds us, good food in whatever preparation it may take.

Matt

boulangere July 3, 2012

I had people who would bring their own GF bread to my restaurant on which I was supposed to make a sandwich of items not on on the menu. #imnotkidding

pierino July 4, 2012

Now Boulangere, that is funny. Did you charge them a corkage fee for using their bread? Maybe $10?

mensaque
mensaque July 4, 2012

About the "all those stuff - free" thing,pierino:in Brazil even bottled water comes with the gluten free sign...WHY?Don't ask me...I just think that if you're so stupid to think water may contain gluten and make you sick,maybe that's natural selection working at it's best.Right?

boulangere July 4, 2012

Pierino, they were surprised when they were charged for a standard sandwich (with salad or soup) - thought they should have been given a discount for bringing their own bread.

meremclamb
meremclamb July 3, 2012

SALMON!!!! it just tastes awful.

Panfusine
Panfusine July 3, 2012

OKRA OKRA OKRA!!

boulangere July 3, 2012

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!

mensaque
mensaque July 4, 2012

ME TOO,ME TOO,ME TOO!!!

Abby A
Abby A July 5, 2012

Makes me Itch. Slight allergy maybe.

LRoberts
LRoberts July 3, 2012

Capers, offal, waxy potatoes, beets.

mensaque
mensaque July 3, 2012

Yams,sweet potatoes,turnips,and a bitter vegetable we have in Brazil:"giló".I don't know if you have it up there or if there's a way to translate it.I'll add an image.Hate all things bitter;not much of a fan of mint candies;just don't like pasty spongy things like kidneys or greasy sausages;love jam,marmalade not so much;and last but not least, coconut or peanuts on desserts.

Tarragon
Tarragon July 5, 2012

I'm almost embarassed to say: goat cheese, parmesan cheese (always substitute pecorino). Cilantro (I always sub parsley, basil, etc. depending on the dish). Rosemary. Sun-dried tomatoes. Melted ice cream (in restaurants I never order deserts that come with ice cream). Runny eggs, especially yolks. Groats (kasha). Corned beef hash (although I do love its components).

SavoryLife
SavoryLife July 8, 2012

Olives, eggplant, and sushi.

And re: the eggplant, it's not about how it's been prepared. Trust me. No matter how much you salt it, soak it, or how quickly you cook it, it's not for me.

Raw green peppers unless it's just the tiniest bit used. Otherwise the flavor overwhelms.

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo July 8, 2012

Its in almost everything here and I eat it at least once a day but I don't really like WAKAME seaweed--so slimy. I like other kinds of seaweed better.

I also buy bean sprouts knowing how healthy and low calorie they are but they always seem to end up in the compost bin....

And (whisper) I really don't like the taste of soy sauce.....

creamtea July 8, 2012

Not a huge fan of cinnamon, especially with chocolate. I like it in Moroccan meat dishes though.

Panfusine
Panfusine July 8, 2012

Me too. I prefer cinnamon in savory dishes

ATL
ATL July 8, 2012

I cannot get over my loathing of sushi.

Lennon'sMom
Lennon'sMom July 9, 2012

Walnuts! That waxy first bite...can never get passed it

savorthis
savorthis July 9, 2012

Frisee. It attacks you when you try to eat it and nobody cuts it small enough. And celery because I am, apparently, deathly allergic. Which is a complete pain in the butt.

MaryMaryCulinary
MaryMaryCulinary July 9, 2012

Anchovies, no matter how small the quantity. And for those of you who think they just disappear into the sauce and provide a depth of unidentifiable flavour, well, you are just mean. I can always taste them. I do like other fish like salmon though. Seaweed is impossible for me to eat--it leaves a bitter and metallic taste in my mouth.

Cinnamon. It's everywhere and in such huge quantities as to be gritty. I use a bit as part of a spice blend in apple and pumpkin pie, but otherwise I replace it with cardamom.

susanm
susanm July 10, 2012

truffle oil. i find it to be repulsive in smell and taste.
that said, a fresh truffle is an entirely different thing of beauty.

QueenSashy November 13, 2012

Susanm, truffle oil does not count as food - it's a chemical :) other than that I cannot agree more, it is totaly repulsive.

louisez
louisez July 10, 2012

Nice to know I'm not the only person in the universe who doesn't like chocolate. I'm not an alien spawn after all....
Add to that sweet potatoes and rhubarb -- my mother's favorites. I think I had one (or two or three or more) too many sweet potatoes as a kid. They seem to be everywhere now. And as for rhubarb -- I had one (or two or three or more) too many bowls of stewed rhubarb, with minimal sugar and added lemon juice. My mother is wonderful -- and 93 -- so I'm happy to tolerate both when we're together. But only then.

aargersi July 10, 2012

The only one thing I can think of - classic Thanksgiving day green bean casserole, with canned beans and canned cream of yuck soup - that shall never pass my lips again. I do like the crunchy onions on top ....

but mostly I am an equal opportunity eater. An omnivore sans dilemma. Come one come all to the table!!!!

ChefOno
ChefOno July 10, 2012

"Cream of yuck soup" Ha!

creamtea July 10, 2012

Mesclun. Because I hate having twigs sticking out of my mouth when I am trying to eat like a lady.

jenmmcd
jenmmcd July 10, 2012

Tarragon, dill, and raw oysters. blech!

I have learned to like olives, cherries (sometimes), and beets (love them now!), so I keep trying them, but so far... no luck.

bthelove
bthelove November 13, 2012

Capers and truffles. I feel so unsophisticated, but its just the truth.

QueenSashy November 13, 2012

Cilantro. I detest cilantro.

vvvanessa
vvvanessa November 14, 2012

The red velvet craze leaves me stunned. I've seen recipes that use up to 4 entire ounces of red food coloring. Gag, gag, gag. I know there are chocolate-beet cakes out there, but that's not what the obsession is about. It's about this vile, unnatural, freakish monstrosity. So, so digusting. And then I learned there is *blue* velvet cake, and I almost cried.

lemongrass2
lemongrass2 November 16, 2012

Fruit!

lemongrass2
lemongrass2 November 16, 2012

Fruit!

Diana B
Diana B November 16, 2012

Clams, oysters and mussels...I just don't get it.

Foodelf
Foodelf November 18, 2012

Turkey - I just despise it ... give me a lovely free-range chicken any day. Goat cheese, which I predicted could only be a brief fad-phase about 25 years ago ... Wow, was I wrong! Green peppers, all those grains that are so popular. Canned tuna sandwiches, ketchup and beans (not fresh ones).

Summer of Eggplant
Summer of Eggplant November 18, 2012

Beets - I've tried, I really have, they make me gag - and their cousin Swiss chard. Baby corn is disgusting in taste and texture. Things I can 'tolerate' but would rather not: applesauce, green peppers, chocolate ice cream (I know) and water chestnuts.

Melusine
Melusine November 19, 2012

Pumpkin pie -- know matter how well made it is. I think it's the consistency. Cilantro. Fennel. Celery. Bitter greens of any sort.

Diana B
Diana B November 19, 2012

I wonder how many of these things we hate simply because we've never had them properly prepared or because we've only eaten mediocre ones? I hated tomatoes all my life until a 10 or 12 years ago when heirlooms began to appear in the farmers' markets - what a revelation! The kind of tomato that can survive having six feet of other tomatoes piled on it in a truck gondola and is ripened with gas - well, of course it's terrible! Who wouldn't hate those? I'm not nuts about salmon, either, but coated with mayonnaise and Parmesan and baked in a dish with an inch or so of white wine - amazing! I loathed Brussels sprouts all my life, too (did I mention my mother was a terrible cook, except for fried chicken?), but a local restaurant serves a Brussels sprouts salad that is out of this world (my arm had to be twisted really hard to even take a taste at first).

Assonta Wagner
Assonta Wagner May 11, 2015

Cilantro, liver (just the thought is enough to make me taste bile) and anything licorice flavored.

klrcon
klrcon May 12, 2015

In addition to liver and turnips, I am seriously NOT a fan of thick drinks. Smoothies and milkshakes are so gross to me. It's just a silly texture thing, because I have no problem with thick soups, including cold ones. But my drink has to be liquid. We human beings are all deeply weird in our own way but at least we can laugh about it.

Jr0717
Jr0717 May 12, 2015

Bleu and Brie Cheeses. I can appreciate their uses in various dishes.....but if it is all the same, I'll take a pass. I can't deal with the texture of Brie, and as a science major, I'd rather be looking at my mold through a microscope than on a spoon or fork.

Susan W May 13, 2015

I'm so laughing at this thread. I dislike brussel sprouts. No matter what you do to them, I dislike them.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich May 13, 2015

Pumpkin pie, fruitcake, lima beans, liver, and kale.

caninechef
caninechef May 13, 2015

Cilantro, scallops, barbeque, cooked peppers. Most of these fall into the avoidance or don't get catagory. Scallops way to expensive to eat when I rather not. Barbeque always sounds so apealling but actually eating it falls short. Really hatingf I define as if you were invited out to dinner, could not make a good show of eating it? Cilantro does not even taste like soap to me, more like old gym socks.

bamcnamara
bamcnamara May 13, 2015

Peas and lima beans----can't get past either :(

penelope
penelope May 18, 2015

This thread is epic.

I will not eat mushrooms of any kind, raw or cooked; melon other than watermelon; shrimp; cream soups; licorice and anise; turnips and rutabagas (which I've been known to call "the horrible vegetables people had to eat before the yummy food in the New World was discovered"); pecan or shoofly pie; lemon bars; flan; fatty meats; poultry skin; papaya; really sweet/sticky/gooey desserts in general (that Momofuku crack pie that everyone was over the moon about a year or so ago? sounds disgusting to me).

CanadaDan
CanadaDan May 18, 2015

Oysters. Why the hell do people like oysters? If i want to eat salty snot I'll hold in a sneeze.
"But they taste like the ocean"...So drink salt water. Or pickle juice. It's cheaper
"It's all about the accoutrements". Then eat a shallot with some vinegar, weirdo.

Susan W May 18, 2015

Your post made me laugh out loud. I love oysters. No condiments necessary. They taste like the ocean smells..not how the ocean tastes. Lol

BerryBaby August 29, 2017

Lamb cannot stomach smelling, looking at it, nothing! It gags me...I know people love it, I'm not one of them.

kareema
kareema August 31, 2017

Anything truffled flavored. I love SO many different things, but the truffle flavor doesn't work for me. I do like natto, tho...

kareema
kareema August 31, 2017

Truffle-flavored things. Blech.

GsR
GsR September 3, 2017

Peanut butter, raw tomatos, and okra. Ugh!

Exbruxelles
Exbruxelles September 5, 2017

Potatoes are repulsive, especially when mashed.

MMH
MMH September 5, 2017

Tapioca - hits my gag reflex upon contact.

MMH
MMH September 5, 2017

Now that I think about it, for me that list of bads is all about texture - eggplant, marshmallows, tofu, meringue but nothing is worse than liver.

SueH
SueH September 5, 2017

Pumpkin ANYTHING, Avocado....ugh, slimy and furry at the same time lol-- cloves, poppy seeds, any kind of fish (although I'll cook it for my husband and daughter,) kale--a fad that just needs to go away, eggs, not a huge fan of chocolate or sweets in general, cottage cheese, oysters, mussels...this list could be very long!